• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alice Springs/Uluru - Sep 2013 (1 Viewer)

ihewman

Hi all,

A while back I went on a trip to NT... where we went to Uluru, Kata Tjuta, Kings Canyon and parts of the West MacDonnells. A few lifers here and there, the weather was great... we had a shower at one stage but otherwise sunny with a nice breeze. With a bit of rain in the last few weeks, the land was “refreshed”, flowers bloomed and butterflies were frequent and was ideal for wildlife. No surprise that the first bird I saw was White-plumed HE at Uluru and while walking around, Little Woodswallow favoured the caves in the rock and a Willie Wagtail appeared from way up the top... how odd, but he seemed happy up there. As well, the usuals were seen and I had no luck finding a Striated Grasswren... I couldn’t loose the group, however, so we will have to return for an exclusive birding trip.

My first three lifers were seen at Kata Tjuta, which were Grey-headed HE, Dusky Grasswren and Western Bowerbird. Also, Australian Ringneck (race zonarius) and Budgerigar were spotted and Zebra Finches were in astonishing numbers. Apparently a Spinifex Pigeon appeared at the water refill station, and I was behind everyone... it would have been a lifer and that was the last Spinifex Pigeon seen for the whole trip! While driving to Kings Canyon, Black-faced, Masked, Little and White-browed Woodswallows were spotted, and we stopped at a sand dune lookout which provided views of White-backed Swallow and White-fronted HE which are both lifers. At the canyon, the usual birds were seen but Hooded Robin was added to the list.

The last day at Ormiston Gorge, Spinifexbird was added to the list, which is another lifer as well as some Australasian Grebes, Black Duck, Black-fronted Dotterel and Little Black and Little Pied Cormorants that were found in the waterholes in the gorge. I am definitely going back next year... I picked up a brochure for the 2013 Red Centre Bird Festival which is happening right now and I hope to go there in 2014.

Check the full bird list:

Attachments

• NTBirds.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 46
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back