• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slovenia in winter 2014. (1 Viewer)

foresttwitcher

Virtually unknown member
United Kingdom
I posted a RFI in the Slovenia sub-forum for tips for birding close to Kranjska Gora during a skiing holiday but received no response & the only other trip reports I could find were not mid-winter or close to the area. So I thought I would just post some brief information on my trip (Saturday 8th - Saturday 15th February 2014).

I was not expecting much given the altitude and season plus (self-)limited time away from the slopes and having to rely on foot, public transport or taxi for short distance travel. The skiing however was curtailed rather abruptly towards the end of the second day on the slopes due to a suspected ruptured anterior cruciate ligament; the next day being spent in clinics, hospital, etc.. I was then restricted to a couple of short hobble close to the town on the last two days once I had rested as long as I was able to stand in the hotel room.

So, none of my potential targets seen but I thought others may be interested to know what is easily accessible in the area in winter.

Seen from transfer coach between Ljubljana airport & Kranjska Gora:

Common Buzzard, Kestrel, Black-headed Gull, Magpie, Jay, Rook;

Seen from hotel in Kranjska Gora & around resort:

Blue Tit, Hooded Crow, Chaffinch, Redpoll (Common/Mealy), Goldfinch, Greenfinch, House Sparrow, Raven, Alpine Chough;

Additional species seen along walk from Kranjska Gora to Podkoren:

Great Tit, Coal Tit, Crested Tit, Willow Tit, Marsh Tit;

Additional species seen from roadside walk from Kranjska Gora towards Krnica:

Carrion Crow (in flock of Hooded Crows feeding on ground) plus Mallard on small partially frozen lake / pond along with a nice drake Wood Duck (presumably an escape or release but not caged, no leg rings & could fly so not recently pinioned).

So, not much to write home about (although I have never seen a Wood Duck) but I hope someone else with some time out from skiing may find the information useful.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back