• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

San Jose Del Cabo, mystery bird (1 Viewer)

SeanKP

Fledgling
Hi all

I've just got back from Mexico and am struggling to ID a bird I came across at the Estuary near to the Intercontinental Hotel just outside San Jose Del Cabo. The bird in question was about 8 inches in length (at a very rough guess), had a pale green head with a distinctive orange spot on its cheek. It was predominantly grey on its body and I think had lighter, possibly white undersides. It had a thick, hooked bill and was seemingly feeding on grass seeds. It was so distinctive looking that I thought it would be relatively easy to ID but so far I've not come across anything remotely like it in my literature.

I do have some pics somewhere but they are buried deep amongst the many thousands I took on the trip and anyway, where would the fun be in that!

Hopefully, someone can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks.

Sean

The green head throws me a bit, if it was yellowish or grayish, it could have been an escaped cockatiel. People breed them to have all kinds of plumage other than'normal' or natural. Orange spots on the cheeks is usual. EDIT: Some breeders breed out the yellow head and if it was gray-yellow, it may look green at a distance.

Last edited:
Cockatiel it is. The head definitely looked light green but it was seen in fairly dense shade which could have made yellow appear green. Thank you.

Sean

Peregrinator said:
The green head throws me a bit, if it was yellowish or grayish, it could have been an escaped cockatiel. People breed them to have all kinds of plumage other than'normal' or natural. Orange spots on the cheeks is usual. EDIT: Some breeders breed out the yellow head and if it was gray-yellow, it may look green at a distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back