• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Not long now (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Won't be long now until we see birds go in our nestbox. I hope I get a family this year. Missed not having anyone last year. I do hope my Great Tits return I felt very sorry when House Sparrows kicked them out in 2008.

Won't be long now until we see birds go in our nestbox. I hope I get a family this year. Missed not having anyone last year. I do hope my Great Tits return I felt very sorry when House Sparrows kicked them out in 2008.

Yes, it's that time again we wait impatiently for the chinking of tiny eggs being turned!

In my garden down here in Hampshire the Great Tits have been visiting the box just once in a while. Having said that, here was a brief visit earlier this morning, and now for the first time both birds have just been inside as I write this, so perhaps their start time has almost arrived.

Their timing is much better this year. By this time last year their nest was three quarters built, and having started so early (first bit brought in on 10 March!) the brood was nearly a disaster as they couldn't find enough food. Only four fledged out a brood of nine, and at least one of the fledgings didn't really look ready to go. They immediately procided a second brood of five eggs. By now caterpillars were plentiful and all five chicks fledged 18-20 June.

As you may have seen in my other posting, this Spring it's my house Sparrows who run the risk of being evicted by Swifts if they don't get on with with nesting very soon! They are clearly getting ready, but with a span of perhaps 30-34 days from first egg to fledging it could a close-run thing.

Had a Blue Tit inspecting the nestbox I put up about four weeks ago, first nestbox I've put up. The Blue Tit as started taking nest building material inside so fingers crossed. The nest box is in a hawthorn and as feeders within a few feet of it. Would it be best to move the feeders further away to deter other birds from getting to close to the nestbox and disturbing the Blue Tits.

Had a Blue Tit inspecting the nestbox I put up about four weeks ago, first nestbox I've put up. The Blue Tit as started taking nest building material inside so fingers crossed. The nest box is in a hawthorn and as feeders within a few feet of it. Would it be best to move the feeders further away to deter other birds from getting to close to the nestbox and disturbing the Blue Tits.

Yes, that would be a good idea. The further the nest is away from a feeding station the better, not only to avoid the problem of disturbance but also to lower the chances at least a bit that a predator that visits the feeding area will also be attracted to the nest box and endanger its contents.

We've had a Blue Tit coming in and out of our birdbox everyday since we put it up last December.

She has already started building a nest in the few days and yesterday she brought in a large amount of moss. Not sure how much more works needs to be done on the nest? Yesterday she went into the box at least 150 times although most of those visits were quick in-and-out's. Is it still early for a Blue Tit to be building a nest?

Have included a picture of the box as it was at 10AM this morning!

Attachments

• 29-03-2010.jpg
    29-03-2010.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 40
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back