• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic/Leica Macro Lens (1 Viewer)

Robert Wallace

I have recently purchased a Lumix G3 package including the 14-42mm and 45-200mm zoom lenses.
My local Natural History Society covers a wide spectrum of interest especially wild flowers, fungi, butterflies and dragonflies. I am considering the Panasonic/Leica F2.8 45mm Macro lenses for use on our field trips does anyone have experience of using this lens?
As an aside how good is this lens for portraiture?
Your opinions welcomed - thank you.

If I remember correctly, this lens has been well talked about in the DPReview micro4/3 forum, but I have no personal experience.

Niels

Hello Robert

I have it and I really like it, though the autofocus is not always easy to use when using the camera handheld at very close distances. It is a very sharp lens.
The two examples might show, what you can expect handheld. Both photos are heavyly cropped.

In another thread I posted a photo of a moths. This one was taken with tripod, but through the window (also cropped).
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=344076&d=1314478866

It is also a very sharp portrait and lenscape lens.

And the best lens for digiscoping I have tried so far. No vignetting and very good picture quality.

All in all the picture quality is amazing, surely the best of all lenses for the G3.

Hope that helps.

Reinhard

Attachments

• büffel1 (1 von 1).jpg
    büffel1 (1 von 1).jpg
    265 KB · Views: 126
  • wanze (1 von 1).jpg
    wanze (1 von 1).jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 126
Here are a couple of portrait type shots with the lens.
I haven't used it for macro yet, but had it with me at the Bird Kingdom Aviary at Niagra Falls last weekend.

Attachments

• 20111009-P1010923.jpg
    20111009-P1010923.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 20111009-P1010795.jpg
    20111009-P1010795.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 87
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back