• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ100 - help needed on focus (1 Viewer)

texassue

I have an FZ100. An aside - I might get a new camera (FZ150 or m4/3) but am not sure it would do me any good. I would like to hear suggestions on settings to give me the best chance of getting birds in focus. I shoot largely on full zoom, handheld, because my goal is seeing the birds better than I can with my binoculars. I have experimented somewhat with Program, Shutter, iAuto, and Sports modes. It's been difficult to assess because the data on the pictures include all kinds of things but not the actual mode I used. For that I have to look at the picture in camera.
This kestrel was on a wire next to a single-line traffic lane at a park entry building. That is, not very far away. I would estimate maybe 25-30 feet. This image is uncropped.
This red-shouldered hawk posed for me atop a roadside pole. I was parked across the narrow two-lane road.
These pix are among my best. Most are more out of focus. Am I expecting too much from the camera or myself? I do have shake when pressing the button. I use the C rather than the Q Pre-AF mode. I use the regular spot focus. I also use the viewfinder for the stability it provides.
Any suggestions appreciated.

They aren't that bad, but looking at the kestrel, you are too far away for a crop really, particularly with a camera which is known for not-that-great image quality. To help you consider what is possible, here is a non-cropped photo with a µ43 camera (Panasonic G3).

https://picasaweb.google.com/114276...5b79NqrJw&feat=directlink#5641937134081333378

There is more detail, and the bird is further away. But you'll have to decide for yourself if it would be worth upgrading.
Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back