• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron MM3 50 ED: straight or angled? (1 Viewer)

Hi, I would like to buy a travel scope and decided on a Opticron mm3 50. I do not know which version to choose, straight or angled. Most of my birding is in open country, either coastline or moors. I think when you want to use a scope without tripod a straight version is easier to use. But I am not sure as I only used angled scopes so far. Looking for your experience. Many thanks, Bobby

Hi Bobby,

how do you plan to use your scope, handheld or with a monopod? What magnifications do you plan to use?

Joachim

Joachim, I would go for the zoom 12-36 HDF zoom. I would use it mainly with a monopod, sometimes a light tripod. Very occasionally handheld. Thanks, Bobby

Bobby, with that usage profile I would probably go for an angled model. A straight model needs higher support which is difficult to find in light-weight. I use mine with a light tripod.

However, I will also say that if you have a long reach camera, including e.g., a superzoom bridge camera, then you can get away with not having a scope at all. I used my Pana GH2 with a 100-300 lens on a recent trip to Ecuador and left the scope behind.

Niels

Thanks Niels, I was also thinking that finding a light but stable tripod for a straight model would be difficult. I am 6 ft tall. Monopod should be ok. Taking only camera is unfortunately no option or me, I am not a photographer. I think I tend to the angled version but I am keen to hear others experience. Many thanks, Bobby

Hi,

I agree with Niels in that case... angled means you can get away with a shorter mono- or tripod. Also it's a lot better to share the scope, if it's on a tripod.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back