• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frames in Photoshop (1 Viewer)

Lisa W

I really need to get out and bird more
Staff member
Supporter
United States
I've never considered myself a complete dunce with programs until now. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to frame a picture, decently in Photoshop CS2. I can make a new layer and put a filled area in around the photo, but it doesn't look anything like what I see other people doing. Help please!

Lisa W said:
I've never considered myself a complete dunce with programs until now. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to frame a picture, decently in Photoshop CS2. I can make a new layer and put a filled area in around the photo, but it doesn't look anything like what I see other people doing. Help please!

Can't help you Lisa as I don't use CS2, but I would comment that I think (entirely personal opinion and taste) that frames around bird images actually detract from the subject unless they are very, very subtle. If you have good images (and your website is packed with excellent shots) then they don't need frames - keep them for wedding photos!

Lisa W said:

Hi Lisa,
If you look in photoshop actions there are some frames there,if not try a google for photoshop action frames and choose one you like and download,any problems feel free to PM me for help if you want to make your own.Here's the frame I am using at the moment.

Attachments

• DSCN9763a.jpg
    DSCN9763a.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 163
Thanks, Swamp Hen, for the kind comments about the photos on my sight. I do indeed want something very simplistic. I really like what Bob has on his image. It is simple, doesn't detract, and sort of makes the photo look finished.
Bob, I've googled action frames already, have them loaded into the "sidebar" but still can't figure it out from there. Will try again and will probably PM you later for help. Thanks.
Lisa

Lisa W said:
Thanks, Swamp Hen, for the kind comments about the photos on my sight. I do indeed want something very simplistic. I really like what Bob has on his image. It is simple, doesn't detract, and sort of makes the photo look finished.
Bob, I've googled action frames already, have them loaded into the "sidebar" but still can't figure it out from there. Will try again and will probably PM you later for help. Thanks.
Lisa
Great site Lisa with some lovely birds,no problem with the frame will PM you later with the info.

In Elements,one just clicks onto effects,selects frames,and the prog does it all for you.One can add several frames at once to one photo.Very simple.

Lisa W said:
Just logged on to your site. Stunning images. Brought back happy memories of my birding holiday to your area a few years ago. I agree with Swamp Hen they don't need frames.

bobwoodcock said:
Hi Lisa,
If you look in photoshop actions there are some frames there,if not try a google for photoshop action frames and choose one you like and download,any problems feel free to PM me for help if you want to make your own.Here's the frame I am using at the moment.

Cheers for this Ive just had a quick go and find it much easier than manually resizing canvas etc..
:clap:

B :) Bob, just finished making my first frame (attached) following the instructions you sent. All I can say is THANK YOU, excellent directions very nice and clear, extremely easy to follow.
Outboard, thanks for the Ditto site, I'll download it, looks interesting.
Christine, thanks also, sometimes I wish I had elements. Photoshop has basically the same thing, but when I try the frames I keep getting error messages (on all I've tried) - maybe I need to download it again.
Bob and Roy, Thank you both for the kind comments on my web site.
As I stated previously I'm trying to find a very unobtrusive frame, just to give the photo a finished look. Bob's is pretty much perfect.
Lisa

Attachments

• brewer's-with-frame.jpg
    brewer's-with-frame.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 106
Lisa W said:
As I stated previously I'm trying to find a very unobtrusive frame, just to give the photo a finished look. Bob's is pretty much perfect.
Lisa
[/color][/color]

Try a single line around the outside of the shot - in photoshop/elements: select>all (ctrl+A), edit>stroke. In the box that opens choose 'inside' (outside requires you to enlarge the canvas area beforehand to accomodate it).

Choose how many pixels width you need and select 'normal' and '100% opacity' in the other boxes and it will give you a border of whatever colour is 'top' of your colour palette.

Very quick once you've done it a couple of times. Choosing a lower percentage 'opacity' and a different colour lets the picture show 'through' the frame - adjust the % rate to your choice.

Attachments

• strokes.jpg
    strokes.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 101
Do try Ditto, it automates your whole process if you wish. You use Adobe Bridge to select single or multiple images, select from the menu a standard template or adapt them yourself. Ditto will not only resize your image, convert it to sRGB if you choose it will add the frame as well.

Attachments

• Black-throated Green Warbler.jpg
    Black-throated Green Warbler.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 111
Outboard,
I played around a little with it last night - and already managed to screw up the signature - lol. I do like the way it does batch processing, would be good for the web page. Thanks so much for the link.
Lisa

Outboard said:
Do try Ditto, it automates your whole process if you wish. You use Adobe Bridge to select single or multiple images, select from the menu a standard template or adapt them yourself. Ditto will not only resize your image, convert it to sRGB if you choose it will add the frame as well.

Similar to a Photoshop action!!

"I played around a little with it last night - and already managed to screw up the signature - lol. I do like the way it does batch processing, would be good for the web page. Thanks so much for the link."

Lisa

Place an action in for your frame then go to Batch processing in Photoshop and it will do the lot for you!!

bobwoodcock said:
Similar to a Photoshop action!!

Of course it's similar to a photoshop action, it is Photoshop. It's just a much more automated way of doing things and it's already done for you.

Outboard said:

This is O.K., very subtle, but I still think unnecessary for such a good image.

Outboard said:
Of course it's similar to a photoshop action, it is Photoshop. It's just a much more automated way of doing things and it's already done for you.

Sorry I was under the impression Ditto was a seperate program!!

I can see using Ditto for large batch projects that require the same lenth and width (like on the birding page I have). Think I will stick to the regular way of doing things in Photoshop for ones and twos.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back