• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Super Zoom advice needed (1 Viewer)

Hi Roger,
Just noticed on your avatar you're based in Barnsley. Aren't we lucky, so am I!
Nope, I don't watch the crap footie team, walk a retired greyhound, play bingo or wear trackie bottoms down the pub!

Seriously, perhaps we could meet up and discuss? I'm usually down at Old Moor at least once a weekend for my sins. Always got my head stuck in a sketchbook.

Cheers

Russ

hi russ
yes,no problem russ,let me know when you are going and i will come and meet you,be happy to discuss.

cheers mate

roger

Hi JD, I made a slight error in the mp setting. It is 8 mp, not 9, anyway that setting (which is the same max mp as my old Fz18) gives a zoom of 39x, which is the equivalent of 975mm in a 35mm camera.

Sounds like you are using i zoom which does give 39x at 8mp as w/out i zoom gives 29.4x at 8mp. I thought i zoom was a form of digital zoom, if so does using this degrade the image ? I am so confused over all these settings at the moment.

Yes, that's correct I was using izoom. Like you I am a little confused, as it seems that the izoom is another form of digital zoom, where the sensor is cropped rather than the image.

I would be interested to see any degradation with/without using i-zoom.

Any chance of seeing an image at 100% on full zoom (without i-zoom) and the same subject at 100% with izoom?

Thanks for any help.

I would be interested to see any degradation with/without using i-zoom.

Any chance of seeing an image at 100% on full zoom (without i-zoom) and the same subject at 100% with izoom?

Thanks for any help.

I have only had this camera a few days so have not had a chance to experiment much with it yet, but so far i think i made the right choice as far as the AF speed and the size and weight of it. If the izoom works with birds then it will equal the SX40's longer reach. Dave ,i have sent you a PM.

There was a French web site where the fz100 was given a thorough testing by its owner, ie not a camera store. I'm away at the moment and don't have the link. Anyway, the tester did a series of shots using the extra optical zoom and izoom zooming in further and further by reducing the mp size. When he had the final image at the lowest mp setting the results still looked amazingly good. I know I have tried something similar with the fz100 myself. The fz150 won't be any better or worse in that respect. When I get back home I'll try and remember to post the link. Also my Wife's iPad doesn't let me reduce any files for posting on this site. A good source of info on this camera and the fz100 is Ken Gravette, you can search for him on Flickr. He has done an enormous amount of testing of both these cameras and would have the most comprehensive information on them available. Have a look at his comments on this Amazon link http://www.amazon.com/review/RTNYP0...O&nodeID=502394&tag=&linkCode=#wasThisHelpful

If you can't find the answer there, then sent him a message. I should mention that the link will take you to the start of his comments, just scroll up to see the full content of his review.

Last edited:
russ
digital photo mag have just done a review of the best superzoom bridge cameras.which included the fuji HS20, panasonic FZ150,nikonP500,olympus SP-810UZ,sony HX100V,canon powershot SX-40HS.

to cut a long story short,the winner was the CANON POWERSHOT SX-40HS.
with lightning-fast AF,pin- sharp shots and outstanding ISO PERFORMANCE.it without question offers the best image quality.
the runner up was the FUJI HS20.
hope this helps!

Can you provide a link, please? Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back