• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wireless vs cable printing (1 Viewer)

proudpapa56

Where'd you go, stay put!
United States
I just received my new Canon Pixma Pro 100 printer which would take up quite a bit of room in the kitchen where the computer is. It can be used in another room via a wireless connection.
I've always been under the impression that using a cable vs wireless produces better results for everything.
Is this true? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I've used both (same computer and printer) didn't notice any difference at all.

I have both a wired and a wireless printer, I have never seen any difference between the two in terms of speed or print quality. Both networks run faster than the printers and the biggest difference is down to the very different inks used in both. For a straight print viewed in decent light I can get pretty well identical results.

I have no recent experience of Canon printers, but see no reason why they should differ. I'm not sure why you think cable connection is better other than in an electrically noisy environment.

The wired printer is on the back of the desktop machine with its 24 inch screen that is used for editing. The wireless printer is elsewhere in that room, the router is somewhere else and laptops and the desktop can access either from anywhere in the house depending on the network configuration that is current.

The main advantage of having the wired printer is that it can be isolated easily from other users if you are printing on to high quality paper and don't want someone elses e-mail turning up on heavy weight archive paper printed in the most expensive ink.

I don't think the major printer manufacturers would sell many wireless printers these days if they produced inferior results. As the wireless printer has a duplex printing capability and relays ink and paper status to the printing computer, the only problem is physically having to walk further to change an ink cartridge or load paper.

I am operating in a Windows 7 environment using only Epson printers and have yet to encounter any problems. Other environments may differ.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why I think that either so thanks for the responses. To put it close to the computer, my boy would have to sit on it during dinner. Even at that, using the wireless, don't know where a good spot is going to be. But looking forward to playing with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back