• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MM3 Fixed vs. Zoom EPs (1 Viewer)

jremmons

Wildlife Biologist
Hello all,

I'm considering purchasing the Opticron MM3 50 for use at work observing to conduct primarily waterfowl and eagle surveys. My question relates to which EP to go with - I've only ever used a zoom EP but have heard good things about fixed, such as the 24x. I wear glasses so high ER is a good quality for me.

Any input would be much appreciated.

JE

I decided on the MM3 60 w/HDL zoom after I came across a couple of reviews and videos suggesting the MM3s have more ER than the Nikon and Vortex 50-65mm scopes. I also wear glasses very thick (-10 diopter)...the MM3 60 w/HDL has all the ER I could want.

One downside is that twisting the eyecup also twists the zoom.

Fixed are better quality. The problem with the Opticron is changing the EPs can be a pain.
If you had a Pentax you could swap the ep's almost as quick as zooming.
If it were me I would probably go with a 25/30x fixed.

Thanks Bill - I planned to go with the 50mm Opticron as it is a little more conducive to what we do on the property.

Gios - Thanks for your thoughts, I believe the 50mm Opticron only offers a 24x as the highest magnification.

Justin

Justin,

You are correct. With the shortest focal length, wide angle, fixed magnification eyepiece you would get 24x. In my mind the question is whether or not 24x is suitable for your particular situation. That statement isn't questioning the usefulness of 24x but rather just asking if it suits you in particular.

I use the 23x HDF fixed mag eyepiece in the 60 mm version and feel that it does a nice job of covering just about all bases with the exception of trying to ID shorebirds at several hundred yards. I used this particular combination all winter long to ID waterfowl at local lakes and quarries. I also used the same eyepiece in the 50 mm MM3 up at the hawk watch last fall (it provides 18x in the 50 mm) and loved using it for that application. The low levels of CA coupled with the huge sweet spot made it very enjoyable to use.

So, based on those two experiences, I think you would be satisfied with the 24x fixed mag/wide angle eyepiece for both waterfowl and hawk IDing.

Justin,

You are correct. With the shortest focal length, wide angle, fixed magnification eyepiece you would get 24x. In my mind the question is whether or not 24x is suitable for your particular situation. That statement isn't questioning the usefulness of 24x but rather just asking if it suits you in particular.

I use the 23x HDF fixed mag eyepiece in the 60 mm version and feel that it does a nice job of covering just about all bases with the exception of trying to ID shorebirds at several hundred yards. I used this particular combination all winter long to ID waterfowl at local lakes and quarries. I also used the same eyepiece in the 50 mm MM3 up at the hawk watch last fall (it provides 18x in the 50 mm) and loved using it for that application. The low levels of CA coupled with the huge sweet spot made it very enjoyable to use.

So, based on those two experiences, I think you would be satisfied with the 24x fixed mag/wide angle eyepiece for both waterfowl and hawk IDing.

Thanks Frank, those are indeed my major applications; as the biologist at a Reservoir I do weekly waterfowl surveys and occasional eagle surveys. We do some shorebird work but it is in the minority and they typically aren't quite so far away as you were observing. I'm thinking that 24x may be ideal.

JE

I used a 23x(12mm) and 17.5x (16mm)wide angle eyepieces with my Nikon ED50 and would not like to get any more power than that with a 50 mm scope...very similar experience to the account that Frank just shared...brightness ensures detail as much as magnification,and more often than not i kept finding the 27X just a bit to dark and too narrow a real FOV for my use...even if you go for the 24x dont underestimate the possibility of using the 18x as well for your surveys,for its added FOV ,brightness and stability can make a difference in some lights,specially if moving fast .A decent doubler might be a nice piece of kit for your job as well

Purchased the 50mm scope, 24x WA eyepiece along with a Manfrotto 700RC2 and lightweight CF tripod. Waiting on the tripod and eyepiece now as they need to be imported. Already received the scope body and it is very small, lightweight, and appears very well made.

JE

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back