• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A95 Camera Settings help... (1 Viewer)

Eliter7

Have recently got a Cannon A95 to digiscope with my Swaro ATS80 but im having trouble getting the settings right to get quality photos. Please can anyone who is digiscoping with a A95 help with modes/settings/zoom for best results please.
Many Thanks for any advice.

Eliter7 said:
Have recently got a Cannon A95 to digiscope with my Swaro ATS80 but im having trouble getting the settings right to get quality photos. Please can anyone who is digiscoping with a A95 help with modes/settings/zoom for best results please.
Many Thanks for any advice.
I use the Fast setting on the rotary switch on top most of the time+ switching off flash, by pressing the top of the big round button at the top, and setting manual focus on, pressing the big round button at the back bottom twice, this puts a magnified area into the centre of the LCD.

The zoom works in about 6 step from 0x to 3x, do not use full zoom, maximum use about 4 of the steps, if you can use less, do so.

Do you use a remote shutter release?, if not, get one ( thats assuming you are using a digiscope adaptor and not using the camera hand held ).

Keep the scopes zoom as low as possible ( thats assuming you have a zoom eyepiece ).

Get the subject/bird on the LCD with the settings as described and use the scope focus ring to fine focus, not the camera.

If you normally wear glasses, wear them for digiscoping too, also try without to see if that improves things ( always assuming you can find the scope and camera without them ).

Try to keep subject and camera distances as low as possible.
Pollution, heat smimmer, wind, slow shutter ( dim light ) etc can all cause soft shots. Oh, you need a solid tripod/head too!. ( plus lucky rabbits foot, cross your fingers and legs etc ).

Last of all, don't be dis heartened, keep on trying and start off with an inanimate object ( Andy Bright uses a Coca Cola can ), and try different things to see what works for you.

What are you using?. A95, Swar?, what eyepiece etc?.

HTH

Last edited:
Thanks for post.
Im using a Swaro ats80 with 20-60zoom eyepiece. Have the A95 on the Swaro DCB clamp. Have no cable release, but didnt think you could get for A95...??
thanks for any further help/tips etc

Thanks again.
given im using the tripod thread for the DCB adapter does the cable bracket have a further thread to attach DCB or is this gonna be tough to work out???

Eliter7 said:
Thanks again.
given im using the tripod thread for the DCB adapter does the cable bracket have a further thread to attach DCB or is this gonna be tough to work out???
The Eagle Eye equivalent certainly has that (I use it myself with my A95) and I believe the Jessops equivalent is of a similar design (but with more plastic involved - the Eagle Eye unit is all metal, presumably extending its lifespan).

Details of both can be found here:
http://www.digiscoped.com/optionalextras.html

blythkeith said:
The Eagle Eye equivalent certainly has that (I use it myself with my A95) and I believe the Jessops equivalent is of a similar design (but with more plastic involved - the Eagle Eye unit is all metal, presumably extending its lifespan).

Details of both can be found here:
http://www.digiscoped.com/optionalextras.html
Keith

There's no plastic involved at all with the current version of the adapter from Jessops, its all black metal!.

Oh, better again - just like the Eagle Eye version then.

I based that suggestion on the information on Andy Bright's site - maybe Andy hasn't picked up on the fact that Jessops have "upgraded"?

alan_rymer said:
Keith

There's no plastic involved at all with the current version of the adapter from Jessops, its all black metal!.
Just checked. All black metal except for the fixing screw at the base which is grey metal ( ali ) and has a threaded socket at the bottom for fixing to a tripod!.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back