• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Conifer Seed Bug, Leptoglossus Occidentalis. (1 Viewer)

coaltit

United Kingdom
I am rearangeing the title for this post as the species of bug I observed I mis-Identified as the Ant Damsel-bug, in the field guide I was useing thee only Species of bug similar was the Ant Damsel-bug not actual photographs but Sketches from 1979. This Species The Western Conifer Seed Bug is a Invadeing species originally from America and was Introduced into Europe by mistake, and settled on the South Coast of England from 2008 and between then and 2011 spread Inland where It Has Established Itself throughout Britain with one known record also found on The East coast of Ireland, I released this species into my back garden the Same day I found it in my conservatory where it was looking for somewhere To Hibernate for the winter, On Saturday 1st of November 2015, knowing what I know now I would not have released it, Pardon the pun (Squash) bug 3:) Would have been quite apt here but thats Another story now.

Attachments

• PICT0018.jpg
    PICT0018.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 36
  • PICT0019.jpg
    PICT0019.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 51
Doesn't seem to be a pest here as far as I'm aware.
If there's few conifers around, that's true. but it does cause serious damage to cone & seed production in much of Britain now, could potentially be significantly harmful to crossbills, siskins, etc., that also eat conifer seeds.

Unfortunately squashing one won't make much difference to the numbers.

Western Conifer Seed Bug.

If there's few conifers around, that's true. but it does cause serious damage to cone & seed production in much of Britain now, could potentially be significantly harmful to crossbills, siskins, etc., that also eat conifer seeds.

Unfortunately squashing one won't make much difference to the numbers.
This species has quite a foothold here now haveing seen a recent Census of its Colonisation in britain over nearly a several year period, I sent My record in to a biological site in the uk who is monitoring this species Spread And I see there has been just 4 other records in the derby area itself but those Numbers rapidly climb the further you spread out, not by being Ignorant or Anything else I have not heard or seen this species before, but whenever I Normally see something like this it means that species is on the move in the Area, to let it get this established is going to take some Manpower to Eradicate it, It must be already finding its way into big Forestry Conifer plantations further north and into scotland, Its quite true when People Say.. As far as the crow flys distance wise.. In this case in quite a short Time.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back