• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which MFT camera works well for quick switch to Video (1 Viewer)

rka

ttbirds
More and more I find myself taking a few still pictures and then and then quickly swicthing to video with the press of a button,especially for birds that look a bit odd to me. However, with my camera (Mk1 OMD-EM5), it automatically controls exposure components with the quick video option in the manualstill mode and also an additional crop is introduced that gives magnification. Underexposed video usually results.

Is there any MFT camera out there that allows one to preset or control these quick video settings and without the crop. Note I am not referring to dedicated Movie mode here as the use case is stills, video, stills in very quick succession.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Last edited:
I have not yet even tried the function! It is possible to download the advanced manual for the Pana G85 online. The relevant section starts at page 164 and goes on for at least 10 pages. There is a different section for switching to video using the wheel. One thing I noticed is the option of recording a photo even while recording a video.

Hanging head with shame - Mk1 M5s slowly being phased out of use, bought some s/h bodies of a newer variety, and your question made me realise I hadn't actualy read the manual yet for the Mk1s!

Only read the manual for a M5 MkII to find out that they had introduced a new menu entry to turn the thing off at the most inconvenient moment.! Which explains why I was thinking it sick or just hated me.

Will try and have a play as it isn't obvious from the manual how many things actually work in practice. e.g. Live focus stacking on the M1 - very much suck it and see. It will be interesting if any of my other bodies behave differently, I suspect not.

Using a video camera in the past I got stills as stills and video with video each with their own settings, but there was no mode dial to confuse the issue, just seperate movie and stills buttons.

OK, I had to check. I have the recording format set at MP4, with size of full HD: 1920x1080 it seems. Metering is set at central spot, which is the same metering I prefer for stills.

Attached are two images, first with regular image and second with a frame extracted from a short video. As you can see, the metering is very similar in the two. There is a crop effect taking out some of the bottom and top of the image, but very little disappears from left or right if I judge it correctly.

Hope this helps
Niels

Edit: I actually took two shots with stills settings, these differed more from each other in metering than this still differ from the frame grab.

Attachments

• P1010321.JPG
    P1010321.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 70
  • P1010323-1.jpg
    P1010323-1.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 71
Thanks. G85 seems to handle metering quite well.

OK, I had to check. I have the recording format set at MP4, with size of full HD: 1920x1080 it seems. Metering is set at central spot, which is the same metering I prefer for stills.

Attached are two images, first with regular image and second with a frame extracted from a short video. As you can see, the metering is very similar in the two. There is a crop effect taking out some of the bottom and top of the image, but very little disappears from left or right if I judge it correctly.

Hope this helps
Niels

Edit: I actually took two shots with stills settings, these differed more from each other in metering than this still differ from the frame grab.

I tried both the Sony and Samsung NX and NEX cameras not long ago, and have to admit that one of them, the user interactions were so confusing, that it wasn't worth it. The other brand felt more comfortable. While I shoot a Canon dSLR as my main camera, having a mirrorless pocket camera would be nice to have too.
It doesn't matter if you buy a canon or a nikon, sony, or samsung. What matters is that you buy something you'll want to use, not something that you're intimidated by.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back