• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steiner disassembly (1 Viewer)

Hi,

these unfortunately look a lot like the Fero D12 Steiner talked german army into procuring in the 70s. These were called the oneway binos as maintenance was pretty impossible which kind of defeated the idea of saving money...

I hope you find a way... it looks like the objective lenses can be taken out with a special tool and there might be screws under the rubber of the eyepieces. The prisms will be rather inaccessble I fear.

Joachim

Thank you. I was afraid of this. I found a set screw under the eyepiece after twisting them all the way up, after unscrewing this it didn't really do anything except loosen the plastic piece that had a mark for setting the focus. The eye piece still would not unscrew. They look to have a couple glued in acess panels. I was thinking of trying to pry one off, but I think one set is probably for setting collimation. Unless I can figure this out. I think I'll see what I can get for them at the local pawn shop. I just don't want to tear them up without getting some money for them.

Steiner 8x30

Can anyone give me some tips on disassembly and cleaning of these Steiner Vergutet 8x30?

Well I can't upload a pic for some reason.

I have not taken one of these apart for a while but the prism assembly comes out through the hole that is left when you take the object lens out.
I seem to remember that the covers next to the OGs can be prised off to access the third screw holding the prism assy.

I believe the 'how it's made' video on binocular manufacture is taken at Steiner. If so they are shown glueing the binoculars together.

Hi,

these unfortunately look a lot like the Fero D12 Steiner talked german army into procuring in the 70s. These were called the oneway binos as maintenance was pretty impossible which kind of defeated the idea of saving money...

I hope you find a way... it looks like the objective lenses can be taken out with a special tool and there might be screws under the rubber of the eyepieces. The prisms will be rather inaccessble I fear.

Joachim

In the US Fleet, we called all Steiners "disposable binoculars."

They could definitely be fixed, but just not cost effectively.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back