• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth Cyprus (1 Viewer)

stavrouchris

Hi All
Can anyone help with this moth please?
It was located in Cyprus along a rocky cost.
Is it a rare find?
Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_3779 (640x360) (2).jpg
    DSC_3779 (640x360) (2).jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 84
Hi All
Can anyone help with this moth please?
It was located in Cyprus along a rocky cost.
Is it a rare find?
Thanks

There is a dedicated sub-forum to moths and butterflies, so any further queries should be posted there.

But, your moth is a Striped Hawk-moth (Hyles livornica). Rare in the UK, but not in Cyprus, I would think.

Hi Chris

As has been said, it is Hyles livornica. A friend wrote to me a couple of days ago to say that there had been a big migration on Cyprus about a month ago with "thousands of V. cardui (Painted Lady butterflies) and Heliothis peltigera (Bordered Straw), hundreds of Macroglossum stellatarum and six Hyles livornica".
I also had one on my next to last night on Mallorca (last Friday), so the migration must still be happening.

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back