• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (9 Viewers)

I'm thinking of a hot air baloon year list next year, only tickable if seen from the ballon I'm getting for christmas.

Good god birding was hard today, the highlight was 2 bewick's over arnold's marsh ! The snow bunting flock at cley is getting pretty big at least 40 birds, quite a sight. Somebody reported 10+ twite but I couldn't find them, think that would be the first record for cley this year?

Was he pushed or did he jump!

Hi folks,

to say please delete my blog from your lists, honestly can't be bothered do it any more! Thing is i go through lots of phases and currently going through my half marathon/cosmic space rock phase and its taken a back seat, fun while it lasted eh o:D
Bye bye AB, shame that but was a larf.....hope the punkers didn't cause this!
Good luck on the 29th! Perhaps you should consider a half marathon list.

At your age Josh I certainly did cycle/walk a lot more. However some of us are now old and wrinkly and I for one would certainly be 'out of puff' if I cycled from Roydon to Holkham and back.

Me too, in the early 90s I used to live in Norwich and regularly cycled to the coast - I cycled to the Ruppell's Warbler at Holme, Baird's Sand at Snettisham, Lesser Crested Terns at Scolt, Minsmere and Sheringham as well as regular migrant hunting at Sheringham and the east coast. Did that until my bike got stolen when I stayed there overnight once (worth it though as we found Great Snipe and Lesser Grey Shrike the days before and after it was nicked). It did mean some early starts though, getting to Sheringham for dawn isn't easy when you cycle up from Norwich.

But like Sue, I'm far too old and wrinkly to do that now (as well as too lazy and unfit). No reason why you youngsters shouldn't though...

............It did mean some early starts though, getting to Sheringham for dawn isn't easy when you cycle up from Norwich.

But like Sue, I'm far too old and wrinkly to do that now (as well as too lazy and unfit). No reason why you youngsters shouldn't though...

If I wanted to bike to Sheringham from King's Lynn I would have to book a couple of days off work to get there for Saturday morning!!!!:-O I am also in the old and wrinkly club - you youngsters carry on and enjoy your cycling!!!;)

Despite the strong southerlies there were a few flocks of Fieldfares coming in off the sea at Overstrand and West Runton yesterday.

The 2 Purple Sands were still at Sheringham this afternoon, and a hirundine was also there in the failing light late afternoon, frustratingly only giving brief glimpses as it was mobile and mainly keeping low behind the rooftops, and whilst undoubtedly just a House Martin it had the most unobvious rump patch I've ever seen on one with it being a drab grey and appeared almost concolourous with the rest of the upperparts most of the time! I'll have another look for it in the morning just in case.....

Somebody reported 10+ twite but I couldn't find them, think that would be the first record for cley this year?

There's a pic of one on Birdguides taken at Cley on Oct 31st (taken by the same guy who photo'd the pos Great Snipe) so maybe they've been around for a while?

Simon

Last edited:
Only highlight of the day was a Barn Owl I discovered hunting the old practice ground opposite Cromer Golf Club car park. Whilst not a rare bird in Norfolk, it was a good record for the location reflected in the fact that it was a Cromer tick for one local who naturally was very pleased to see it following my call.

Simon

Last edited:
Fizzle fizzle!

The Leonids were, yet again, a major disappointment: despite a new Moon and no cloud on Monday and FOUR HOURS staring at Denebola I saw only a single meteor. And Tuesday was, of course totally cloudy! May I recommend the much more reliable Geminids on December 13 / 14?

Norfolk Bird and Mammal report 2008 now available from Cley NWT; available tomorrow from the HQ on Thorpe Road, Norwich.
Cheers,
Jim.

Titchwell November 19th

Today's highlights

Great Northern diver - 1 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Avocet - 4 on fresh marsh

Snettisham

Scaup - 2 females on pits
Red throated diver - 1 on pits

Paul

Titchwell November 20th

Today's highlights

Black throated diver - 1 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Velvet scoter - 1 offshore
Yellow legged gull - 2 adults roosting on fresh marsh
Pintail - 120 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 10 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 60 on fresh marsh
Merlin - 1 hunting over saltmarsh
Brambling - 1 on feeders
Chiffchaff - 1 near visitor centre

Paul

Apart from the obvious I.D issues there are at least 3 spelling mistakes. Whatever happened to proof reading. Anyway........
Highlights from the Leas this morning were 2 male L.T.Ducks (still), 2 Shags(avian variety) & 17 Little Gulls west.

Grin in Lynn ? No ! Gawk at the Sprawk.

Even more, Rob.

#1 “send” should be “sent”

#2 “pictures” instead of the gobbledygook

#3 “Peregrine”, obviously

#4 and “Kings” should be “King’s”

This is without mentioning the poor punctuation.

Not bad for a 3-line caption.

Goshawk

While we're on the theme of accipiters: there's been a female Goshawk terrorising the local avifauna around Blofield Heath / Hemblington for the past few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back