• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds wont touch the Perky Pet (1 Viewer)

roddey

Hello everyone, I put up a new bird feeder about three weeks ago and not one song bird has touched it. I have even sprinkled seed around it. The feeder is surrounded by trees that even have nesting pairs in them. I have seen the songbirds making babies on top of the fence right next to it and they still ignore it. I just don't know what to do. I could change the type of bird feeder I am using, but they are not touching the seed that I am sprinkling along the fence rail or the ground underneath the feeder either. I am using a songbird blend by Pennington.

Attachments

• _DSC0134.jpg
    _DSC0134.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 44
  • _DSC0132.JPG
    _DSC0132.JPG
    404.7 KB · Views: 56
  • _DSC0136.jpg
    _DSC0136.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 48
  • _DSC0137.JPG
    _DSC0137.JPG
    402 KB · Views: 52
  • _DSC0139.JPG
    _DSC0139.JPG
    411.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
It does take time for birds to get used to a new feeding station. There seem to be a lot of moving ornaments/mobiles in your garden. It could be the movement which is putting the birds off? Have you hung them where your seating area is? That might be a problem too.

Is it possible to name the birds you're seeing? I wondered if they might be swallows which don't eat seeds and love the bugs that stay around the trees? Also, at this time of year the hooded or bullock's orioles are building nests in the trees. They have pretty songs but never touch my seed feeders but love the hummer's sugar water feeders.

Another idea if my swallow theory is wrong-try putting out some water for the birds. You don't need a fancy birdbath, just put water in a clean pot saucer and stick it on a table or something off the ground and out in the open. The birds will enjoy the drink or bath. You could also try putting some seeds in another saucer.

Cats in or near your garden could be the reason the birds aren't coming to the feeder. If the cats wander near the other side of the fence, the birds won't come down.

Last edited:
This time of the year when birds are nesting, their diet changes- seed is usually not a big part of their diet. Plus, once they are feeding their young, they are too busy looking for grubs and worms. On the other hand, once the Downy, Hairy, Pileated Woodpeckers and Flicker's young have fledged are ready to wean their young, they will then appear at my suet feeders.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back