• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Goose - hybrid greylag? (1 Viewer)

Pitvar

Hello all, another UK goose - looks like Greylag x domestic goose to me? Or could it just be leutistic?

Seen with a flock of probably feral greylag this week in Cumbria. When you start looking there are quite a few hybrids around - saw a canada x pink foot or similar at Martin Mere earlier in the year. Cheers

Attachments

• DSC_0565 - 2009-03-25 at 10-23-51.jpg
    DSC_0565 - 2009-03-25 at 10-23-51.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 120
Greylag x Domestic Greylag perhaps.

Canada x Pinkfoot sounds unusual. Canada x Greylag are more common.

Stephen.

Now you mention it Stephen and I've had another look I think you're right with Canada x Greylag even though it was hanging around with pinkfoot - the bill looks a lot more greylag - poor quality photo attached

Attachments

• Greylag - 2009-01-10 at 11-19-49.jpg
    Greylag - 2009-01-10 at 11-19-49.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 108
Thanks DaveN - I know its not very purist but I still find hybrids interesting as a beginner! Thanks to all, Pitvar

This mirrors another thread from Germany.

Farmyard geese are greylag geee. They are the domesticated (some would say mutated)form of the wild greylag, so a graylag x farmyard goose is not a hybrid as they are the same species (just as a Rock Dove x Feral Pigeon offspring would not be a hybrid).

This mirrors another thread from Germany.

Farmyard geese are greylag geee. They are the domesticated (some would say mutated)form of the wild greylag, so a graylag x farmyard goose is not a hybrid as they are the same species (just as a Rock Dove x Feral Pigeon offspring would not be a hybrid).

not allways- some farmyard geese have also domestic swan goose (= Chinese goose ) blood in them.

Look at this here, what is called "domestic greylag geese" here is infact a mixture with domestic greylag and chinese goose genes:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/domgeese.htm

I agree the initial bird is an odd coloured greylag(maybe with domestic greylag ancestry) and the other one from martin mere is canada x greylag...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back