• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meadow Pipit ? (1 Viewer)

Neil Grubb

Not being a pipit expert, I'd appreciate some help with this bird which I saw with my brother this afternoon in coastal scrub at Musselburgh, by Edinburgh. There were 10-12 of these in a flock and we reckoned they might be Meadow Pipit. However, the markings don't quite agree with those in my ID guides; the chest marking looks quite dense, and the dark markings below and behind the base of the bill look darker than in the photos I have referred to. However, Meadow Pipit seems the closest and I have no idea of the range of variation in markings of pipits! Is it a Meadow Pipit ? Help!

Attachments

• PipitQ1.jpg
    PipitQ1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 932
  • PipitQ2.jpg
    PipitQ2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 183
Yep, Meadow Pipits... they are hugely variable in terms of colouration and amount of streaking!

The structure and facial pattern are distinctive though

Welcome to the world of pipits - fascinating for some - a nightmare for others!

I'd say they were Meadow Pipits - the only other species likely to be there at the time would be Rock Pipit, which would have dark legs - but I expect the experts will soon give you a better answer!

Hi Neil
The long hind claw,in pic 2,is a good feature, also.
The pic is a bit grainy but you can make out that it is fairly long with a translucent distal half.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back