• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feed All Year ? (1 Viewer)

I personally provide a variety of foods all year round to benefit different species.
I know there are some who frown upon this, on the basis that the birds can become too dependent upon their human 'benefactors' ... but I take the view that human activity has been responsible for the depletion of so much of the birds' natural food sources, that it's OK for us to 'redress the balance' somewhat!

Its really up to you. I wouldn't totally recommend suet in the summer, because of melting, but mainly because they don't need it. Suet is more for winter, when birds really need the fat and energy in it. You can feed seeds to birds all year round. I do that, providing fruit and seeds in summer, and suet and seeds in winter. I know some people who totally stop feeding birds in the summer and feed them only in the winter cause that is when they need it the most. Feeding them in the summer gives me great summer bird photos to ;)

Peanuts can choke young birds if they are feed whole, so only put out peanuts in a feeder that only allows very small pieces to be taken or avoid feeding them altogether during the nesting season. Bread is also harmful to nestlings.

Peanuts can choke young birds if they are feed whole, so only put out peanuts in a feeder that only allows very small pieces to be taken or avoid feeding them altogether during the nesting season. Bread is also harmful to nestlings.

Thank you for this helpful advise.

This year we started feeding the garden birds throughout the whole year. And it's fun to watch them. We also noticed that they do not only rely on what we feed them but also successfully try to get their own food by hunting worms and insects.

The impulse for feeding the birds not only during wintertime came from my aunt. At school she was a co-student of Prof. Dr. Peter Berhold when he was the pupil named Peter Berthold somewhere back in the 40s/50s.

After getting her advice I bought his book:

http://www.amazon.de/Vögel-füttern-richtig-Peter-Berthold/dp/3440116441

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back