• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (13 Viewers)

Had an excellent little afternoon run out for the not-so- Scarlet Rosser at Warham Greens yesterday. Showed brilliantly, gorging itself on berries and nettles, just 50 yards walk from the car park on the central track.

Can someone let me know exactly where to park for this and also what the path is like (will the pushchair cope with it)?

Hi Ilya

I had 2 purple sandpipers at Titchwell on 28th Sep. see my Post 2090 (page 84) which I got pictures of too Tim;) and showed pics to Titchwell staff (Richard), they were there the next day too, don't how long they stayed after that though. I presume Titchwell would have informed county bird recorder if they thought this was relevant.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Hiya Penny

Titchwell seems to still be one of the best places for them, at least according to the 2005 Bird Report. I had one there back in Februray. Also according to the report:

The long-term trend in the county continues to be downward, with few sites regularly holding birds and a county wintering population at best of just 10-12.

I'd definately encourage people to submit records of purple sand. It's certainly much rarer than Autumn yellow-browed warbler (at least this year - I suspect there were upwards of 300 in the county!).

Edit: p. s. looking good for Asian / eastern rarities this weekend, especially on Saturday. Although the winds aren't looking that favourable locally, which should rule out another fall of scarcer migrants (yb warbler, rb fly etc), temperatures are set to drop dramatically over most of northern Asia by then and winds and conditions are looking favourable to trigger the onset of a mass migration of Siberian migrants

Last edited:
Edit: p. s. looking good for Asian / eastern rarities this weekend, especially on Saturday. Although the winds aren't looking that favourable locally, which should rule out another fall of scarcer migrants (yb warbler, rb fly etc), temperatures are set to drop dramatically over most of northern Asia by then and winds and conditions are looking favourable to trigger the onset of a mass migration of Siberian migrants

let's hope so Ilya. Pop over if you fancy a day out. Both shrikes still present y'day. Ought to be an RBF or richardi or better, waiting for us...

on the coast, had a strange thrush last night - had a complete pure white collar but no other white areas. Had panicky thoughts of a White-collared Thrush but remembered they're much larger with wider white collars. Never saw the unders. A very odd bird. Probably a Song Thrush with localised albinism.

Laps flying around were nice to see and Goldie numbers building...

Can't do Palling/Eccles tonight but gonna try Caister Road cemetary.

EDIT: The Rough-legged reported at Horsey recently was a Common Buzzard

Last edited:
Humes Leaf Wabler still present in the sallow at holkham, although its a bitch to see well. I got 2 brief but decent looks that were at least better than yesterdays effort in the rain. Still plenty of YBs around, and also saw a Ring Ousel on the path that goes north from the crossroads.

I'd like to see some lapland buntings at some point. Any tips on connecting with them without twitching, or are they too scarce to manage without just fluking them?

Jason

let's hope so Ilya. Pop over if you fancy a day out. Both shrikes still present y'day. Ought to be an RBF or richardi or better, waiting for us...

on the coast, had a strange thrush last night - had a complete pure white collar but no other white areas. Had panicky thoughts of a White-collared Thrush but remembered they're much larger with wider white collars. Never saw the unders. A very odd bird. Probably a Song Thrush with localised albinism.

Laps flying around were nice to see and Goldie numbers building...

Can't do Palling/Eccles tonight but gonna try Caister Road cemetary.

EDIT: The Rough-legged reported at Horsey recently was a Common Buzzard

Cheers Tim. Will do, probably on the Sunday again. Interesting thrush! I presume you're talking about White-collared thrush as in Turdus albocinctus? Don't they look much more like blackbirds than song thushes?

http://images.google.co.uk/images?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&q=Turdus+albocinctus+&btnG=Search+Images

Dusky thrush has a partial white collar (as does rouzel) as I'm sure you know...

I'd like to see some lapland buntings at some point. Any tips on connecting with them without twitching, or are they too scarce to manage without just fluking them?
Jason

Probably a case of picking a good viz mig site and hoping ;). Locally I always find Gore Point at Holme is a good location to have them flying over, or further east from the coastal path near the NOA end. Otherwise West Runton/Paston are known sites, although I've never visited these, and its worth checking through any ploughed fields on the coast. Choseley has had a few records as well, although Lap Bunts in general are usually easier to see on the ground in the winter months. :t:

Cheers,

might be an idea not to publicise Lap Bunts as they get booted all over the place. The ones I know of are not released generally although odd records make the new services now and again...

Jason

Jase

learn the call and go to the coast. Blakeney or similar and keep listening. It's a quick short trill kind of noise often followed by a 'seeeuu'. Very distinctive once you know it

went into Caister Cemetary this afternoon with a birding colleague for an hour and we found another Yellow-browed

Last edited:
Had a good day out on the coast today. Got great views of the Rosefich then popped down to Holkham for the Humes. Had one YB warbler on the way and two more plus two chiffchaffs, goldcrest and treecreeper on the way back. Had breif views of the Humes. Who ever identified that tiny brown flitty creature as a Humes is a better man/woman than me. Maybe it was calling or something when first found. Anyway more research and learning required.
Not out tomorrow so those of you who are...
Happy birding
Alan

Hi,
I assume your refering to the Rosefinch!

The pushchair should cope with the track. You can even drive all the way to the end. I found it easy enough, its off the A149 opposite the turning for Warham. Hope you find it okay.
regards
Alan

That’s a good point....

It’s all too easy, as we stroll around in t-shirts looking for easterly drifted Yellow-brows in glorious Indian summer conditions, to forget that temperature plays a huge role in how and when birds migrate; both spring and autumn. A sudden cold spell in January would have us getting all excited about hard weather movement (geese, ducks, waders, white-winged Gulls, Bustards even (aahh, 1987....), but at this time of year we can all too easily become preoccupied with wind direction only.

Saw a male Blackcap at home today and 2 Redpoll sp. flew over.

James

Had a good day out on the coast today. Got great views of the Rosefich then popped down to Holkham for the Humes. Had one YB warbler on the way and two more plus two chiffchaffs, goldcrest and treecreeper on the way back. Had breif views of the Humes. Who ever identified that tiny brown flitty creature as a Humes is a better man/woman than me. Maybe it was calling or something when first found. Anyway more research and learning required.
Not out tomorrow so those of you who are...
Happy birding
Alan

I was sceptical about Hume's last week but then i met the birder who found this (or maybe another bird?) closer to the Wells end. He found it by playing a call of Humes to see what would happen and one appeared out of nowehere !!
Great find and glad that one has been relocated
I'm going to try and see the bird tomorrow and have a good look for other eastern birds....
Norfolk seems to be better than St Mary's at the moment
:gn:

Thanks for the help Tim and Connor. No need for exact locations; that would be twitching : ). I'll get out looking tomorrow.

Jason

Last edited:
I believe this thread has mentioned 'lap bunts' at both Paston and Happisburgh recently.

cheers for that. sorry to whinge and stuff but...

now they can get booted all over the place by people who can't be arsed to look for any. The regular birders don't want them publicising due to past events. These are long standing active Norfolk birders with excellent reputations and nice folks to boot. Please respect it and give the birds some peace this year.

Last edited:
On the subject of Lap bunts, had one on the deck in amongst alba wagtails and meadow pipits today! So a few around the coast of Norfolk if you look at this time of year.

Also today had the Hume's calling early morning in amongst 2-3 Y brows at Holkham - all the birds then left the 'isolated clump' they were in and headed into the main wood, so not sure if they have been doing this regularly or if they have now gone!

Heard one more Ybrow at far western end of Holkham and a few bramblings over with lots of redwings and fieldfares - but generally seems like there are less migrants around

Dipped the rosefinch again - apparently it was seen early morning

Lets hope we get more birds turn up this weekend - its a long winter ahead!

:smoke:

Salthouse produced a fair few Alba wagtails and 2 Wheatears this afternoon, with a couple of Razorbills on the sea. Wandered along the coast to Kelling to see the Phalarope. Made a bit of a sketch cos I couldn't remember how to id it from other phalaropes, and got it back in the car.

jason

Kelling Barred Warbler - Directions Please.

Hi All,
Decided to get some Norfolk birding in this weekend and wondered if anyone knows where the Barred Warbler is at Kelling watermeadows please.
I'm not certain where the 'watermeadows' are let alone the bird.
Any help gratefully received......cheers in advance....RichardB :)

We were watching this bird last week here where the arrow points.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

If it is still in the same area you walk down that track. Eventually you come to some double gates on your right. At this point walk into the field on your left and walk on a further 50 - 100 yards and look at the bushes on the other side of the track you have just walked down.

Don't forget that there is a R N Phalarope nearby.

John

Hi All,
Decided to get some Norfolk birding in this weekend and wondered if anyone knows where the Barred Warbler is at Kelling watermeadows please.
I'm not certain where the 'watermeadows' are let alone the bird.
Any help gratefully received......cheers in advance....RichardB :)

Coming into Kelling from the east (Cley direction) you pass the school on the left and a turning to the right, just after this there is limited parking by the track on the left heading north or park in along the opposite road. Walk north along the track until you get to a metal gate. The Barred Warbler was in hedges just north of hear. Also Yellow-browed Warbler in the area and Red-necked Phalarope on the pool. (the Barred was not seen for a couple of days and only one report today, so good luck!)

Oh Reader got there first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back