• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (20 Viewers)

Few bits and pieces a Holme NOA today, most notably 63 Fieldfare, 36 Snow Buntings, Woodcock etc. see my site for more...

Connor

Hi Connor, im in need of some tips for getting the most out of Holme.
I have just finished uni for the year and im gagging to get out and about again. keen to get to Holme tomorrow. What are the chances of Long tailed duck, Grebes etc? Despite living in norfolk for the past 4 months I still havent been to Holme, so any advice you can give would be great.
Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Jimbob. Good chance of Long-tailed Duck, try Gore Point area, while the NOA end is better for grebes and divers...

Sent you a PM

Connor

Any developments on the strange bird reported from Bacton/Walcott? A friend of mine tells me he saw an imm. male Stonechat there 2 days ago...

James

Brunnich's Guillemot Winterton late Nov

Bonaparte's Gull Breydon late Nov

nice rewards for hard working observers

Tim

[Intentionally stirring a bit here...]

Nice records, and I completely agree that these guys put in countless hours effort, but why are these coming to light now, rather than within 5 minutes of the observation?

I know that neither of the people concerned are particularly bothered about twitching other people's rarities, but they're undoubtedly aware of the huge number of people who'd get great enjoyment from seeing such rare birds in the UK.... so why not give everyone else an opportunity, however slim? I know I would...

Any developments on the strange bird reported from Bacton/Walcott? A friend of mine tells me he saw an imm. male Stonechat there 2 days ago...

James

No sign of it in a very brief search will try more in depth search tomorrow my friend is a good birder and was sure it wasn't a Stonechat but you never can be sure.

Can anyone recommend a good location for viewing Birds of Prey in Norfolk as I'm heading to Norwich for Christmas with the in laws!

Cheers

Des

Can anyone recommend a good location for viewing Birds of Prey in Norfolk as I'm heading to Norwich for Christmas with the in laws!

Cheers

Des

Also theres some good advice on the past few pages of this thread re Merlin and Hen Harriers.

Had a day in north norfolk yesterday.
Connor, cheers for the Holme advice.

Holme. Parked up near the golf course and walked along the shoreline. Possible Iceland Gull east was nice, if a little frustrating. Met a couple of lads who put me onto 3 distant Long tailed duck, one of the birds I was after today! Cheers guys. Red throat on the sea, fieldfares in abundance in the dunes.

Moved onto Titchwell. Brambling on the feeders again (I seem to be getting lucky with them lately). Never tire of seeing this bird. On the beach, purple sandpiper (one of my favourites) and plenty of Sanderling and Turnstone. 5 Goldeneye and 3 Eider were on the sea, as were 10+ distant R B Merganser.

Final stop was Wells. Caught up with the flock of Brents on the pitch and putt course, beach road. I spent ages scrutinising the group for any Black Brants. I just couldnt be sure. One or two had larger neck bands, almost triangular on one. The distinct white flanks were not really in evidence, so possibly juveniles. I felt that close to a new species, but in the end decided to wait until I was really sure. Has anyone else tried for or see the supposed B Brants here? Any tips on ID?

Cheers,
Jim.

Lapland Bunting west through Holme today was quite nice, otherwise fairly quiet, with a Great-spot Woodpecker, 5 Fieldfares, R-T Diver, Marsh Harrier and 3 Redwings of note.

Merry xmas all,

Connor

Flock of at least 30 Snowbuntings at Salthouse this afternoon. The whole landscape has changed at Salthouse/Cley since the high tides!! Massive gaps in the shingle ridge. Freezing cold and damp grey weather.

Have done a Merry Christmas Thread in the Community Notice Board, but Merry Christmas to everyone on the Norfolk thread.B :):t:;)

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Season's greetings to all of you who plowter through the Norfolk marshes and freeze your butts off on its windswept shore. Yes, I know you say it's sometimes sunny - but I'll believe it when I see it! You have a great site - keep it going.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Last edited:
Season's greetings to all of you who plowter through the Norfok marshes and freeze your butts off on its windswept shore. Yes, I know you say it's sometimes sunny - but I'll believe it when I see it! You have a great site - keep it going.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Season's Greetings to you too Dave..... or is it unseasonal in SA? ;) All the best for Christmas and 2008 too, to all those that love Norfolk and it's wonderful birding and who may find themselves browsing this thread from time to time...

James

Have added details of a sponsered birdwatch I did for the NOA on Christmas eve. Highlights included Bittern, Grey Phalarope and Red-crested Pochard, as well as many more. For full trip report visit my blog.

Cheers, hope everyone had a good christmas,

Connor

Hi all Norfolk Birders, I'm having a great time here. Have been out birding loads - thanks for all the advice guys heres a brief summary of my sightings so far.

21st Dec - quick visit to Salthouse on arrival - 30 Snow Buntings also Stonechat, Sparrowhawk, Turnstone, Redshank and Marsh Harrier.

22nd Dec - Salthouse again in morning. Better views of Snow Buntings, but havn't spotted a Lapland yet (reported again today so will have to go back for another crack at it). Common waders and Wildfowl. 200 Brent Geese in a nearby field and a Kestrel out hunting. Holkham Pines in the afternoon. At least 4 Marsh Harriers, Jays, Long Tailed Tits, two Stonechat, Goldcrest, Curlew, Lapwing, Shelduck, Pink Footed Geese, Goldeneye and GC Grebes. Also a Muntjac Deer.

23rd Dec - Walking round Cley area most of the day - Stonechat, Reed Bunting, Brent Geese, Shoveler, Shelduck, Wigeon, Teal, Gadwall, Little Grebe, about 200 Golden Plover, Dunlin, Oystercatcher, Redshank, Lapwing, Curlew, Marsh Harriers, Kestrel, Little Egret, Red Throated Divers at sea. Also 3 Barnacle Geese on the grassy field before the main road – probably feral?

24th Dec- Excellent Raptor Roost at Stubb Mill. Fieldfare, 3 Green Woodpecker, Jays, Kingfisher, loads of Marsh Harriers, Kestrel, lovely male Hen harrier, Sparrowhawk, Barn Owl and Merlin. A ringtail Hen Harrier was also called out.

Titchwell this morning - highlights - 2 Spotted Redshank, loads of Pintail. On the beach we had Knot, Sanderling, Turnstone, Grey Plover, Ringed Plover, Bar Tailed Godwit, GC Grebe, Goldeneye and GBB Gull. Also Linnet and Skylark. Watched a Barn Owl hunting at Blakeney this evening.

Hope you all had a great xmas and enjoy the rest of your holiday B :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back