• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (21 Viewers)

Thanks matt

I decided against going today but I am going on Saturday. I will aim to get there about 15:00.

John

I don't blame you, rubbish weather here today!!

Best of luck with saturday, if you're planning on taking pics you'd be better off watching from the public footpath along the southern edge of the common or by Wacton Hall...you'll still get good close views and the sun will be behind you!!

Matt

Afraid not. The Snow Buntings have moved along to cley beach car park, with a few Lapland Bunts as well. I dont know if they're still there now though. Shorelarks were still present on wednesday by east bank.

Jason

Is there still a seeded area at Salthouse attracting buntings?
Thanks!!

Absolutely miserable morning spent wasting time around Gun Hill and Burnham Overy Dunes produced 1 (1!!!) Chiffchaff, with 2 more nearer the village, and 2 probable Redpolls over. No other migrants whatsoever. I got soaked though, which was nice... :storm:

Jason

Thanks Matt

BTW do you park by the hall or somewhere else?

The o/s co-ordinates, as supplied by RBA give the following link.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?ar=y&x=618500&y=290500&z=4

I take it that the southern edge is that straight line going immediately to the right of the hall. Is that correct?

John

I don't blame you, rubbish weather here today!!

Best of luck with saturday, if you're planning on taking pics you'd be better off watching from the public footpath along the southern edge of the common or by Wacton Hall...you'll still get good close views and the sun will be behind you!!

Matt

Well today was a constant battle with the weather, but there were still a few highlights at Holme. A sparkling male White Wagtail flew low west through the Gore Point Dunes at 9:21am and I managed to locate 2 Firecrests (1 bright male) on the NOA reserve. For more sightings and a report on the day please see my website.

Cheers,

Connor

The o/s co-ordinates, as supplied by RBA give the following link.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?ar=y&x=618500&y=290500&z=4

I take it that the southern edge is that straight line going immediately to the right of the hall. Is that correct?

Yep, you can follow the path at Wacton Hall and walk past The Old Mill House all the way to the other end of the common, the public footpath is conveniently the other side of a shortly cropped hedgerow which helps break up a persons outline!

Re parking, you shouldn't have any problems parking up somewhere out of the way..either pulling in close on the corner of the common outside the Hall or just up the green lane on the grass verge..

Had a quick hour on site this evening and Dark Breasted + 1 SEO still present.

Matt

Well today was a constant battle with the weather, but there were still a few highlights at Holme. A sparkling male White Wagtail flew low west through the Gore Point Dunes at 9:21am and I managed to locate 2 Firecrests (1 bright male) on the NOA reserve. For more sightings and a report on the day please see my website.

Cheers,

Connor

Hi Connor

Well done, glad you saw some good birds in diabolical weather!

I have not been birding today, had a lie in - lovely!!! all this twitching is shattering;).

I have succumbed, I have ordered an RBA pager today. I worked out the money I spend ringing Birdline while I am out and about on my own, which is most of the time, probably amounts to more than what my monthly fee of £10.99 is going to be!

Don't know where I am going tomorrow yet, last day of my holiday, back at work on Sunday so I going to have a good one, whatever the weather is doing. All waterproofs are by the door ready now!!!;)

Chased Nikon today and should be getting my scope back by next Saturday:t:

Have a good weekend everyone.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

I knew I should have followed you around y'day Penny. Well done on the GWE - it really is giving me the runaround!

However, I did manage to connect with the summer plumaged Black-necked Grebe at Hickling, which was really spanking and went back for more of the Bluethrot, which was singing regularly, but not always in view!!
The most interesting sighting was at 6.30pm when travelling home on the A47. In the near dark a Common Buzzard flew strongly over the road with nowhere to roost in sight!

No Birding today, but looking foward to a long weekend (will the GWE give itself up? Well, I suppose I'll have to just find one!)

Take care

Thanks Matt

Hopefully it will still be dry by late afternoon, although the weather forecast is for showers possibly by then.

John

Yep, you can follow the path at Wacton Hall and walk past The Old Mill House all the way to the other end of the common, the public footpath is conveniently the other side of a shortly cropped hedgerow which helps break up a persons outline!

Re parking, you shouldn't have any problems parking up somewhere out of the way..either pulling in close on the corner of the common outside the Hall or just up the green lane on the grass verge..

Had a quick hour on site this evening and Dark Breasted + 1 SEO still present.

Matt

Trip report

Hi Connor

Well done, glad you saw some good birds in diabolical weather!

I have not been birding today, had a lie in - lovely!!! all this twitching is shattering;).

I have succumbed, I have ordered an RBA pager today. I worked out the money I spend ringing Birdline while I am out and about on my own, which is most of the time, probably amounts to more than what my monthly fee of £10.99 is going to be!

Don't know where I am going tomorrow yet, last day of my holiday, back at work on Sunday so I going to have a good one, whatever the weather is doing. All waterproofs are by the door ready now!!!;)

Chased Nikon today and should be getting my scope back by next Saturday:t:

Have a good weekend everyone.

Hi Penny
Look forward to reading your trip report on your Saturday out birding.
Hope you get some good birds.
I haven't got a pager and try not to ring birdlines. I get nearly all my
info from Birdguides, which I subscribe to, plus most Bird Forum members
are really kind and helpful with local information etc. when you are going to
a location you don't know.
Best wishes,
Richard

Again a few bits and pieces today, a rather nice early spring day in all, with a Black Redstart at Hunstanton Cliffs, 3+ Firecrests at Holme NOA and good viz-mig at the former, with Grey Wagtail, Redpoll, 10 Siskins, 11 Tree Sparrows, 2 Great Tits, 708 Woodpigeons etc. For a full trip report and more of my sightings please visit my blog.

Cheers,

Connor

Arrived Walsey Hills carpark at 9.10am

Lovely sunny day and BF Reader (John) also parked in the carpark! - nice to see you again.

Walked round Walsey Hills - 1 Cettis Warbler singing, snipe drumming, an Adder basking on bank with his red eye glinting in the sunshine! Several blue tits, great tits and chaffinches in the scrub, a large flock of yellow hammers, greenfinches and linnets round the back fields. Meadow pipits and skylarks, several blackbirds and robins. Along the back ridge a long tailed tit, marsh harrier, a 2nd Cettis Warbler and 2 red leg partridge in bottom field.

Pete (Vol. Warden) then arrived, had a quick chat then I went off along the East Bank to find the Shorelark, which I was reluctant to do at this point as Pete was 'going for a look round' which mean't he would probably see something good, but promised he would ring if he did! Anyway I went along the East Bank and about half way along a lapwing stood on the bank extremely close to me and was pulling out worms! it was very odd as I have never seen one that close and then something really funny happened - one of the worms he pulled out got flung around the back of his neck and he couldn't get hold of it! - he then flew off with the worm still around him! Usual birds on the marshes, avocets, brents, several ringed plover etc etc. Walked east at end of bank and had to walk quite a way before I had distance views of the Shorelark and then a photographer flushed them over my head and directly in front of me - had fantastic views of 3 Shorelarks (11.25am) at the top of the ridge in the sunshine! Pete then called me to tell me to look straight on to the marsh to look at 2 sandwich terns - I couldn't see them at all, plus having no scope did not help. BF HelenElizabeth was also there with someone else and they couldn't see them either. When I got to the end of East Bank I diverted to NWT Centre to 'ladies' and was going to treat myself to something yummy from cafe, but when I saw £2.20 for a cheese scone I changed my mind! On the fields east of the centre there were several lapwing and goldenplover feeding. A man I spoke to there had seen a swallow going west and a common buzzard earlier. Walked back to Walsey Hills to find out Pete had also had a swallow!!!! typical, knew I should have stayed there! Sat on a deck chair eating my lunch and the sun had now gone in and it felt quite chilly! I then had a very easy find:-O while munching on a bar of chocolate sitting in deck chair I suddenly spotted something interesting moving about in the gorse just to left of the steps, it was a Firecrest!!! (1.20pm) Pete was very pleased as it was his first of the spring (I have already seen one) - but I got told off for finding it on his patch;) and phoned it through to RBA. A few people came up to try and find it, but we did not see it any more after that.

I left here around 3pm and got to Titchwell about 4pm to try and see the Black Necked Grebe (ha ha ha). A nice water rail was in the ditch at beginning of path on right and had my first Chiffchaff singing round the Fen Trail. Hundreds of Brents about I noticed. Freezing cold now and strong winds. Spoke to warden Paul Eele who had not seen the grebe and I don't think anyone else had for a while either. There were 2 red breasted mergansers and 1 great crested grebe on the sea. Several grey plover and other usual stuff, oystercatchers, gulls etc on the shore. Sand martin and swallow had been seen today by other people. Back along the path a pied wagtail battled in the wind. There seemed to be quite a few carrion crows about aswell, I counted at least 6. Sat in Parrinder hide for a while, nothing special, carried on and sat in the Fen hide to finish off. There was a couple and a man on his own when I went in the hide - there were several marsh harriers coming into roost, I counted 5 - the couple then left and just after the man left, just before 6.30pm a ringtail Hen Harrier came into view and also my closest ever sighting of a Peregrine which shot along the front of the hide and then landed briefly on a small bush to left of hide!!! Walked back to carpark and after getting in car and turning lights on I saw a very, very interesting bird (please keep an eye out tomorrow!!!!) it sat in the hedge opposite the loos and the second I put my bins up it disappeared. It was roughly thrush sized, totally pale underneath with a longish tail, I sat there for a while in hope to see it again! As soon as I saw it, I thought that looks interesting! Left here just before 7pm and went and parked opposite Titchwell Manor and stood by field to try and see the White Fronted Goose which was reported earlier, I could just about see some geese the other side of the field, but they could have been anything in that light:-O

Went to mother's for home made cheese scones that didn't cost £2.20!!!

Last edited:
My first Little Ringed Plover today, in the Wensum Valley, also Green Sandpiper still there. (managed a littorus Rock Pipit there in the week, my first in the area). Spaham had one Sand Martin, but little else. Best find of the day was a White Wagtail in the valley (with a second bird identified later). If I had found it on the coast I would have just said, 'nice white wagtail,' however, this far inland it took me ages to convince myself!!

Walked round Walsey Hills - 1 Cettis Warbler singing, snipe drumming, an Adder basking on bank with his red eye glinting in the sunshine! Several blue tits, great tits and chaffinches in the scrub, a large flock of yellow hammers, greenfinches and linnets round the back fields. Meadow pipits and skylarks, several blackbirds and robins. Along the back ridge a long tailed tit, marsh harrier, a 2nd Cettis Warbler and 2 red leg partridge in bottom field.

Hi Penny, i've never been to Walsey hills before, are Adders easy to see/regular there? If they are it sounds easier then trying to get lucky in Thetford forest...

A brief mid day/afternoon out today around kelling with my dad produced fantastic views of the Great grey Shrike and Steam train which set fire to the embankment!:eek!: pictures and a proper trip report, as always, on my blog.

cheers
steve

Thought this might be of interest to some Norfolkeans!!

I was recently contacted by Collin Penny who has recently revised his website for the Buxton Heath Wildlife Group, part of the site is still in construction but it will be interesting to se the species records from previous years. Looks to be great little site for plants, insects and reptiles as well as for birds!....anyone been there?

http://www.freewebs.com/buxtonheath/

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back