• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (28 Viewers)

Hi Daniel

On behalf of the RSPB I can assure you that we don't have an 'otter problem' on any of our reserves in Norfolk. In fact we're very fond of our otters at Strumpshaw and happy to say so! OK, so occasionally they might eat something we'd rather they didn't but there is certainly no evidence that they are a problem to bitterns (or any other species) on our reserves nor is there any conspiracy to relocate any otters.

All the best

Rob

Thanks Rob for a polite and measured reply (unlike upstarts jumping in on the attack - another one hiding behind a nickname, but how appropriate).

Upstart - I did not "slander" the RSPB and was careful to add that I wasnt "having a go" - something you obviously missed in a rush to cause an issue (sometimes this site is treated as a playground for an arguement).

I am an RSPB member and have been so for 25 years, which in my book makes me able to query their tactics and ways they spend my money. That was my "point".

And as it is, my facts are right but I can now not obviously say anymore (and its nothing to do with Strumpshaw).

You might find that Wildlife Trusts have far more reserves than the RSPB if you want to be picky. I am a member of theirs too.

If the RSPB guys on here say there is not an issue to discuss on here than fine by me. As I have approached them privately already previous to posting (as you so helpfully recommended) I thought this site an opportunity to raise the question.

I have not revealed a rare breeding bird in public (for example), I have simply asked a question? therefore, your prickly response surprised me.

One thing is for sure, the bird sightings of Saint Arnold of Cley with his magic new eyes, will not be dismissed by the resident birders of Cley in the future!! Every claim should checked out - however unlikely!! There was no withholding news by anybody, just a unhealthy dose of scepticism! Beers all round for Arnold!!!!!!

As for who should take credit for the record, well Arnold did indentify the bird unaided. He has found good stuff at Cley before including a Laughing Gull. Arnold also did the right thing and alerted the residents of village with probably the highest percentage of resident birders in the uk, including at least two BBRC members (past and present). The only other person worthly of mention here is Arnolds surgeon. Without him/her there would be no magic eyes and therefore no Great Snipe record.

:clap::clap::clap:

Blogger

Very annoying that BLOGGER still has ongoing maintenance work going on. It will only allow you to read a blog and all posts from the 5th of May have been removed and are currently being placed back. Blimey thats going to take a long time!!! I wanted to add pictures last night. I hope its going to be up and running by this evening, otherwise I am going to get really behind with updating stuff. I have not been able to log in since last night and still can't now by 4.30pm!!! Never known this to happen before!

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Titchwell May 13th

Today’s highlights

Little ringed plover – 3 on fresh marsh
Bittern – male booming in reedbed
Whinchat – male on saltmarsh by beach boardwalk
Red crested pochard – drake on reedbed pool
Turtle dove – 1 by visitor centre

Paul

Serious Blogger Issues

Sorry to post on here about this. BUT BE WARNED.

BLOGGER has been inaccessible since late yesterday evening (Thursday eve) - only allowed you to read a blog and "all posts from the 5th of May have been removed and are currently being placed back."

Check your blogs for missing recent posts.

It has now come back up this evening at around 6.30pm. But when I opened my blog, all my Great Snipe postings and Videos from Pete Snook are missing (typed on Wed 11th and Thurs 12th). Reading the blogger forums, people are seriously angry and so am I.

I am hoping they will be restored. If not I will have to remember what I wrote and add them again. I will ensure in future that I copy all my postings onto my laptop.

VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING IS NOW RESTORED AT 10.15PM - PHEW!

Penny

Last edited:
Hi Daniel

I'm afraid I can't add anything more to my original post other than to reassure you that at none of our Norfolk reserves are we doing anything to otters other than to celebrate their presence.

If you've heard otherwise, please let me know what you've heard and I'll investigate further. If you don't want to post publicly on the forum, send me a PM and I will treat whatever you feel able to tell me in confidence.

All the best

Rob

Thanks Rob for a polite and measured reply (unlike upstarts jumping in on the attack - another one hiding behind a nickname, but how appropriate).

Upstart - I did not "slander" the RSPB and was careful to add that I wasnt "having a go" - something you obviously missed in a rush to cause an issue (sometimes this site is treated as a playground for an arguement).

I am an RSPB member and have been so for 25 years, which in my book makes me able to query their tactics and ways they spend my money. That was my "point".

And as it is, my facts are right but I can now not obviously say anymore (and its nothing to do with Strumpshaw).

You might find that Wildlife Trusts have far more reserves than the RSPB if you want to be picky. I am a member of theirs too.

If the RSPB guys on here say there is not an issue to discuss on here than fine by me. As I have approached them privately already previous to posting (as you so helpfully recommended) I thought this site an opportunity to raise the question.

I have not revealed a rare breeding bird in public (for example), I have simply asked a question? therefore, your prickly response surprised me.

What were sightings like tonight please? On BirdGuides it says present at 8:25pm and 8:30pm - may just be two people's reports of the same viewing though.

Frustration!!

Its been the most surreal few days in my young birding life, I watched three 'Megas' slip away from me within in the space of a few days.

Latest blog update, a tale that will keep your kids awake for weeks and your wife asking, did you hear that? I may be slightly over exaggerating. Link below.

http://apprenticebirdersdiary.webs.com/apps/blog/entries/show/7044583-so-close-but-yet-so-far

Nice record shot of one of the Cley Temminck's. Link below.

http://apprenticebirdersdiary.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/show/13650573-temminck-s-stint

I hope everyone is having a good weekend

Regards Kieran

Can a mega stay and be twitchable please

Its been the most surreal few days in my young birding life, I watched three 'Megas' slip away from me within in the space of a few days.

Regards Kieran

Absolutely
Four megas in as many days
Collared flycatcher Holme found just before 4pm Sunday 8 May not there next day
Audouin's Gull Monday bird flew off soon 4pm
Calandra lark Gibraltar Point (just across the Wash from Holme by the wind turbines) not seen after it was reported
Great Snipe last thing Wednesday or first thing Thursday.

Collared flycatcher my only Norfolk lifer, of the four, and seen. Well done Holme guys!

Dipped the great snipe in the Cley square but have seen one before.

Also dipped the Cley square great spotted cuckoo. Have seen that bird before in Norfolk. Remember ticking it as if it were yesterday.
I arrived late, only going for it as it was a lifer: had other commitments.
Birder says do not go into that garden. He then walked through the driveway entrance himself. GS cuckoo comes out and I see and tiick it!

Last edited:
Couldn't be bothered with the frustration of trying to twitch something on the coast, so had a really lovely morning in my local area. Starting soon after 4am, the best birds were 3 Cuckoo, 4 Garden Warbler, 5 Woodlark and a Hobby. Also found Great-Spotted Woodpecker and Barn Owl nests, and saw my first Water Vole for ages! Fun times...

Couldn't be bothered with the frustration of trying to twitch something on the coast, so had a really lovely morning in my local area. Starting soon after 4am, the best birds were 3 Cuckoo, 4 Garden Warbler, 5 Woodlark and a Hobby. Also found Great-Spotted Woodpecker and Barn Owl nests, and saw my first Water Vole for ages! Fun times...

Where did you see Garden Warbler out of interest? Really want a few more warblers this year :)
Thanks

I've not seen or heard Garden Warbler this year myself; it appears that although our other common summer Warblers are here in good numbers that Gardens may not yet have arrived for whatever reason? Hope I'm wrong...

Having said in a previous post how good Cricket Marsh was looking this Spring I went up to Cley last night for another look from the West Bank. The Lesser Yellowlegs did influence my decision! It was a few minutes before I latched onto the ‘legs’ but with the evening sun illuminating from behind the views were good if a little distant. I spent just over an hour leading up to dusk here and was also treated to views of at least one Temminck’s, six Wood Sands, two LRP’s plus single Greenshank and Common Sand. It would be great to have closer access to this stretch but hey, the marsh is primarily run for the birds, so it’s a privilege to be able to watch them at all. Whilst here a scurrying, jumping, tail flourishing Snipe made my heart skip but it was just a Common in display. Unfortunately the Ruff of two weeks ago appear to have moved on; I felt they looked so ‘at home’ in here.

Prior to stopping here I’d had a look around and from Walsey noting some Whimbrel with the Curlew in meadows along the Coast Road and three Spoonbills (an adult with two first summer birds) which were actively feeding on Arnold’s Marsh.

Oh, as I arrived at Walsey at around 7pm I had a brief view of something I’d not seen before but which was instantly recognisable. Female, very blonde about the head but unfortunately quickly 'flew' west...

James

I've not seen or heard Garden Warbler this year myself; it appears that although our other common summer Warblers are here in good numbers that Gardens may not yet have arrived for whatever reason? Hope I'm wrong...
I saw four Garden Warblers at Strumpshaw today and there were a few more which I heard but couldn't find.

Ron

Last edited:
Hi has anyone any advice on birding in the Diss area as we are on holiday there in June any help would be appreciated. thanks

There are several good fens all within a 15 min drive from Diss. The most well known is Lopham which is nationally famous for its Great Raft Spider and well worth a visit. Also you should try Thelnetham and Hinderclay Fens - very attractive reserves and great for insects. To be honest you wont see a great variety of birds at these sites but you should enjoy them anyway and it is the time of year when anything can turn up so give them a go. Wortham Ling Common is an excellent heath and if you're very lucky, even Diss Mere might produce a passage tern or wader. All these sites are along the Little Ouse valley south of the A1066. If venturing further, you're well situated for the whole of the brecks too. SB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back