• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yosemite Great Grey (1 Viewer)

Vishals

I will be in Yosemite from 9/30 to 10/3 and I really hope to photograph great grey owl. Any suggestions on where to find them? I am willing to dedicate every morning and evening to look for them. Any replies are greatly appreciated!

I can't offer much as regards local knowledge of sightings, but merely on logistics. Many visiting birders try McGurk Meadows, off the Glacier Point road (and some succeed). But from experience, you'll need to be dedicated to spend enough time. I stayed in Mariposa (one of nearest towns, on west side of park), and it was approx. 45 mins+ drive to the park entrance, then 45 mins drive to reach the site, and then 30 mins+ walk to reach the meadows. And you need to be there pre-dawn or stay until dark. So if you were going to concentrate your search at a known site like this, look into either camping close by or trying for a room at one of the few motels just on the outskirts of the park (or maybe you've already decided to sleep in the car?!) Otherwise you'll end up doing a lot of travelling which can be a pain if searching for days in succession.
Ebird should be useful in pin-pointing any recent sightings, but only one record shown for Yosemite during the current month at present.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back