• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lothian Birding (3 Viewers)

The 3rd Little Bunting for Lothian was present for its second day at the Dry Burn near Skateraw, attracting a steady stream of admirers. Other migrants include a number of Yellow-browed Warblers at a number of sites and a Black Redstart at Torness.

David

Hi all,

Just popping in to say hello! Found this website at the weekend, after I decided to learn how to use the DSLR that had been gathering dust in a cupboard.

I must admit, I know very little about birds, but I am finding them fascinating, and am keen to learn.

I live in Edinburgh, just meters from Holyrood Park. So far I've spent plenty of time at St Margrets Loch, as well as Portobello Beach, Friggate Park, and Duddingston Loch.

Hi Manix, welcome to the forum.
In spring you should try out The Hermitage / Braid Hills / Blackford pond area. Great for woodland birds.
For waders, grebes, divers etc check out Cramond and Musselburgh.
Also the Water of Leith Walkway between Roseburn and the Botanics often has dipper, heron and sometimes kingfisher.
I'm sure there others on the forum who also have tips on places in and around the city.

Hi there :)

I am an absolute beginner....as in ABSOLUTE beginner! Seriously....I get excited at identifying a sparrow!
A few weeks ago, I decided to try a mindfulness exercise in my garden (Midlothian) and just take life easy and observe. Wow! I had a wonderful time! I can't believe all this life has been in my garden! Plain, ordinary birds....but to a beginner, it is fab!

I am excited at the thought of identifying ANY birds. They don't have to be rare, they just have to be a bird that I don't know. :)

I am an absolute beginner....as in ABSOLUTE beginner! Seriously....I get excited at identifying a sparrow!
A few weeks ago, I decided to try a mindfulness exercise in my garden (Midlothian) and just take life easy and observe. Wow! I had a wonderful time! I can't believe all this life has been in my garden! Plain, ordinary birds....but to a beginner, it is fab!

I am excited at the thought of identifying ANY birds. They don't have to be rare, they just have to be a bird that I don't know. :)

You are certainly in a good area. I visited the Musselburgh scrapes for the first time earlier in the year. I had a great time there and will be back in the autumn

Yeah.... Musselburgh is great, isn't it!!! As is the reserve at Aberlady Bay.... just wait till the Pinkfooted Geese arrive in the Autumn.... an amazing spectacle.

This really made me smile! I remember feeling exactly the same way, and it's really great.

What I didn't expect is that many years later I STILL feel like a beginner, but also enjoy still just as much to see and identify any new birds or even new experiences! Wonderful hobby to have.

2 different Mediterranean Gulls on the Scrapes at Musselburgh this weekend, an adult on Saturday and a 1st summer today. A third, ringed, adult was seen on Saturday morning at the Esk mouth. Greenshank and Black-tailed Godwit seen at the weekend too.

David

The scrapes? Is that the Lagoons? We go there with our dog but can't obviously take her round the reserve.

Aberfeldy bay...is that on the John Muir Way? I have been there before but I was butterfly spotting :)

Today I was in Penicuik. I didn't see much other than a buzzard....I still get a buzz when I see one, even though they are quite common. I like to watch them circle, soar and very occasionally I see them swoop!
I tried photographing the buzzard but I haven't uploaded the photos yet.

The scrapes? Is that the Lagoons? We go there with our dog but can't obviously take her round the reserve.

Aberfeldy bay...is that on the John Muir Way? I have been there before but I was butterfly spotting :)

Today I was in Penicuik. I didn't see much other than a buzzard....I still get a buzz when I see one, even though they are quite common. I like to watch them circle, soar and very occasionally I see them swoop!
I tried photographing the buzzard but I haven't uploaded the photos yet.

You can go to the hides at the Scrapes so long as the dog is on a lead.

Aberlady Bay is to the east of Aberlady village ( no dogs I’m afraid), don’t know if it’s on the John Muir Way.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back