• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro TLS APO 43 mm for Full Frame DSLR (1 Viewer)

Gduff

Hi,
I'm searching for reviews, field tests of this adapter, but I cannot find anything on the Internet.
I've asked to Swarosvki, but they didn't want to answer "We have no direct connection to end consumer tests".

It's impossible to search in this forum, because the word "43" is deleted in the search field, "too short", and I'm not interested in the APS-C adapter reviews.

A search in Google give only links to buying sites.

Thank you if you have any links

A friend of mine has used the TLS APO 43 with very nice results. I expect more reviews and images will be available once more people are using this system.
You could try searching Flickr to see if anyone there is using one. I used Flickr searches a lot before buying the TLS APO 30 a couple of years ago.

"If you’re a bird-watcher and wants to capture or document birds and observations in the field I recommend you use a phone adapter instead of the Swarovski ATX 85mm Scope and TLS APO adapter.
Phone adapters like the Swarovksi PA adapter iPhone adapter or one similar from Kowa (note Kowa makes adapters other phones than the iPhone) are a much more simple and easygoing solution without all the hassle of adjusting exposure, mounting adapter, removing cover, blowing away dust and all of the things you don’t want to waste your time in the field with.
Sure you might argue that using a phone yields lower quality than using a proper D-SLR which is true. But since we’re not foremost hindered by image quality but by inconvenience of using a DSLR on a scope where you’ll get none of the benefits from the DSLR, the phone adapter is a better choice and a no brainer."

https://www.tobiashjorth.com/swarovski-atx-85mm-scope-and-tls-apo-adapter-review/

A phone adapter is also an option, Tobias. I am also a birder who makes photos as a secondary activity. For this I use a a TLS APO and mirrorless camera. There are no issues speed, convenience or size (camera and adapter fit in a 'scopac') and the quality is superb. I have managed 'record shots' as well as better photos during birding or longer trips. Not sure why you need to adjust exposure, mount, remove cover or 'blow dust' more with a camera than phone - certainly not a waste of time if you get a good shot.

I have recently used the TLS APO 43mm on the full frame Sony a7ii alongside a friend using Canon 5diii. Both gave great results with the TLS APO on ATX/STX 85s. No vignetting, sharp and colour-rich images.
The exposure values (so amount of light reaching the camera) were exactly the same as when using the TLS APO 30mm on APS-C camera.
Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back