• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta vs Nikon (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I am considering Zeiss Conquest 10x40 T and Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42?

Zeiss Conquest 10x40 T - abbe-konig prism (this is what i like on it) for more light, but 3m minimum focus distance, field of view 105, made in year of 2005-2012
Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 - probably newer than that before, but 2m mfd. and the value/money ratio is due to allbinos.com the best

Thank you

Pavel

Hi,

I read yesterday in one forum about sport optics (but its true in astro forum), and a lot of praise was on Pentax ZD 10x43 ED.
What do you think about it? It costs almost the same like Meo 10x42 HD without discount. I read that has worse field of wiew (105m/1000), but resolution and brithness is very great ...

Pavel,

I've only tried the original Conquest briefly. It was sharp with good contrast but I found the CA rather high for my liking. Others are less troubled by CA than I am. The newer 10x42 HD has SP prisms not AK. I thought the Meopta had a sharper image. The Pentax is much lighter than the Meopta, which is a consideration, and while the view was technically quite good, I found the colours dull and lifeless, which seems surprising given the Allbinos transmission profile. I'm wondering if I was shown the previous DFC ED instead? I'm sure other users will have different priorities and opinions about these models. As I said earlier, you really need to check these for yourself if you can.

David

PS. I should explain the Pentax comment. After the Pentax range was renamed after the Ricoh takeover I checked out most of the models again at Birdfair. I know most sported the new names, but I don't remember checking if the sample of their top of the range I checked actually had the new ZD designation.

Last edited:
Hi David,

thank you for your answer.
There is often a problem here. I cant try out the bino, because it is not often on stock ... Fotoskoda.cz has for trying just Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 (its sold out now, but till 10days will come) and f.e. Kahles Helia 10x42. Pentax is on order, Meopta is on order (it is possible to try it on office, but not to buy this one) and Zeiss is on order. There are not a lot of place having many binos to try out ... :-(
Asmost all mentioned binos have very similar price (Meopta -25%) ...

It's a very nice smallish binocular, but in my opinion, not quite the match for the Kowa 8.5x44 or the Meostar HD 10x44. A 3.3mm exit pupil will generally be OK in the summer months, but there will be winter days when it will be limiting.

Considering a 12x50 one day and a 10x33 another; I wonder if you are rushing this decision. For me, the needs of tourism and birdwatching are quite different. It might be best to take some time to decide what your needs really are.

David

If the eye relief is good for you, the Meopta 12X50 is a great glass, did not work for me. Where you live I would go for the Meopta Meostar 10X42 over the Nikon HG 10X42, you will likely get better service with Meopta than Nikon. Additionally the jury is still out on the Nikon Hg for its durability, time will tell.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back