• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gleneagles 22.10.17 (1 Viewer)

Parryman1

Any ideas? I am staying near Gleneagles from 22nd of October for a week. Are there any good nature reserves or walks within an hours drive max to see birds, mamals. No specific target species. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks Karl

Hi Karl

.... first I edited your thread title, from 2 October to 22 LOL

Vane Farm near Kinross is an excellent reserve within an hour's drive. They should be getting the winter visitors in then. Pink Footed Geese usually in good numbers. Also Loch of the Lowes, near Dunkeld gets lots of water birds and has an excellent feeding station outside the visitor centre.

Walking..... you're spoiled for choice in Glendevon. Or head up to Glen Almond; park by the bridge at Newton, cross the road and walk for miles. Should get Dipper and rutting Red Deer.

There's also excellent walks at Dunkeld (see Loch of the Lowes).

Will they do for starters?

Thanks Delia that is very helpful. I'll have a look at those options. I am staying in Auchterader near Gleneagles for a weeks intensive physio so not sure what free time I will have. I wil let you know how I get on. (with the birding I mean not the physio)

You're welcome Karl.

I used to lead pony treks in Glendevon a hundred years ago, and loved it. Not sure if some of the old tracks I knew are still in use, but you should get some information about them in Auchterarder.

Did you know that Auchterarder has the longest high street in Scotland? Hence its pet name of the "lang toun"!

For raptors try the Sma' Glen, there are Red Kites near Comrie. As Delia says RSPB Loch Leven is excellent. The Loch of the Lowes also has beaver and there are walks organised by the rangers to spot them.

David

A walk you might enjoy is Glenquey to Castle Campbell at Dollar.

Castlehill Reservoir is new since my day, but they seem to have put in a car park by the road end. Take the farm road up past the farmhouse and follow the track along the right hand side of the reservoir. Keep following that track until you see the castle below you. You can visit the castle, if you wish (though probably won't have the time), by descending the steep track down to the Dollar Glen Road.

See this map for location. Don't know what bird life you'll see though.... but it's a lovely walk. About 2 hours each way.

It may be an idea to take a packed lunch with you and have it after reaching Glenquey Reservoir.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back