• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (22 Viewers)

The honeypot is even sweeter and stickier!

"Early Riser" Wakeman reports a Gadwall with a brood of 8 ducklings from the East Hide at the Moors Pool :t::t:

Rob E - further to your query yesterday, I cant find any data on the average life expectancy of Avocets but the oldest bird recorded in the wild was 16 years 1 month and 19 days (rung in the nest at Minsmere in 1971 and recorded at the same site in 1987)

On flashes Shovelers are looking for somewhere peaceful to take their three remaining chicks. Everything else as earlier this week, although I'm still searching for the 23rd Avocet chick (brood I being uncooperative). All as you were on Moors and Sailing Pool too.

All 23 Avocet chicks present and correct. Shovelers back on 3rd Flash. Grey Heron and up to four LBBGs loafing there, which may explain why 8 has become 3.

More Red-necked Phalaropes moving up the west side of the country today with birds in Cheshire and the Cotswold Water Park - perhaps we will have yet another found on a Sunday morning by Dave J?

Re the Broadmeadow Oystercatchers - on Thursday an adult flew to the east shore of B'meadow Pool but didn't reappear. Odd place for an Oyk to go given the vegetation there... unless there was a chick to feed? Also on the chick front the four Greylag goslings were on the Sailing Pool.

Mike I watched this Oyc go into that area twice with worms today so a chick looks likely.

1. Oyc carrying food into East bank of Broadmeadow.
2. Gadwall ducklings
3. Gadwall Mum & young
4. The terns are really giving someone's fish pond a pounding. @nd Goldfish I've seen brought in.

Only 1 Lapwing chick seen on Southern Island, maybe more. Another BHG chick taken by Herring Gull. Reed Warbler collecting food in front of East hide so assume young to feed somewhere or maybe a Cuckoo?

Attachments

• 610_1188.jpg
    610_1188.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 610_1184.jpg
    610_1184.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 610_1197.jpg
    610_1197.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 610_1288.jpg
    610_1288.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 87
Brief visit to Flashes then Moors. The two Black-tailed Godwit flew out of the Flashes as I was leaving, and two were present at the Moors when I arrived, presumably the same birds. Gadwall family was showing well though I couldn't find any more than 5 ducklings at one time. Maybe there were more since they're very active and in and out of the reeds all the time.

Attachments

• Black-tailed Godwit Moors.jpg
    Black-tailed Godwit Moors.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 72
Visited the Moors around 6pm to look for the gadwall family. It took a while but I was eventually rewarded with views of the female and her eight sweet ducklings. The habitat seems perfect as there are plenty of places for the little ones to hide. They seem to have chosen the same area as the shoveller family did last year, so hopefully they will have the same survival success. The oystercatcher and its chick were on Snipe Island; it is looking healthy. There were two black tailed godwits on Shingle Island, presumably the same pair that have been over at the Flashes. I also saw the great crested grebes with their chick. Other highlights were a little grebe, the terns on the rafts and lots of screaming swifts.

very busy on the flashes this lunchtime - felt sorry for the mallard family especially when it got 'moved' on by a shelduck and a trio of avocets at the same time.

not too sure about the warbler (from the Jacobs Hide on the Moors) - would appreciate an id

Attachments

• IJS_2158 copyright Ivan Sansom and Rose Hughes.jpg
    IJS_2158 copyright Ivan Sansom and Rose Hughes.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IJS_2019 copyright Ivan Sansom and Rose Hughes.jpg
    IJS_2019 copyright Ivan Sansom and Rose Hughes.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 73
Summary of Lapwing Broods

Brood F1 - hatched 4 young south of the second Flash on 17/05; not definitively seen since but regular adult activity in the area plus the appearance of 2 larger chicks in right of the reeds on 28/05 indicate they may have survived
Brood F2 - hatched 4 young on the right hand side of the sewage meadow on 19/02; reduced to 2 on 27/05 with both still present on 30/05
Brood F3 - hatched 1 young on the left hand side of the sewage meadow on 22/05; not seen subsequently
Brood F4 - hatched 4 young to the right of the hide near the delta from 24/05; reduced to 2 on 27/05 with 2 still present on 30/05
Brood F5 - hatched 4 young in from the main hide from 28/05; still 3 young on 29/05 and 30/05
Brood F6 - still sitting
Brood M1 - hatched 4 young in the Broadmeadow from 22/05; relocated to Amy's Marsh with only 1 young seen on 29/05 and 30/05

In total to date six pairs have produced 21 young of which at least 8 were still present as at 30/05, with a pair still to hatch

The only year I can find that has produced more young was 1996 when 22 young were hatched, of which 13 went on to fledge.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• PHW
Back