• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are Seasonal Visitors already packed? (1 Viewer)

Elk River Rancher

Casual Birder
I've noticed a distinct difference in the population, at the deck, yesterday morning; and today, too ... the delightful flock of dark eyed juncos seems significantly reduced, in numbers. They, along with the white throat sparrows and the cardinals, are usually here at the deck very early - and generally 'root around' the leaf debris under the holly and between the house and the garage. Their soft vocalisations are missed - and I wonder how soon they'll depart for points northward (they are not year 'round residents, in my woodlands here on the Elk River, in Maryland, USA.).

As the morning progresses, the blue jays, red-bellied and downy woodpeckers, the white and the rosy breasted nuthatches, the chickadees and titmice, and the occasional 'vagrant' (a mourning dove or two, sometimes a song sparrow) visit the deck railing, finding places between the grey squirrels to land and get a seed or two.

The ubiquitous flocks of grackles, red wing, and brown-headed cowbirds will then sound their clarion call, and swoop in for the attack on the buffet, clearing it completely within two or three minutes. I've tried to manage these hungry hoards by putting cracked and whole corn off to the side of the drive - and it does help, somewhat, to divert the black river of ravenous birds from the 'pricier' seeds and peanuts - but not for long. I usually have to take my morning coffee at the dining room table, and act as the 'scarecrow', jumping up from my seat when the black birds begin to lite upon the railing. They are strong in number, but faint of heart, and take wing the moment my chair legs scrape the floor, as I push away from the table.

This has not been quite as harsh a winter, in 'snow cover' - but it's been very cold. But, for the first time in months, the temperatures reached into the mid 50's (F, of course ...), yesterday - and I spotted a robin in the holly bush. It's not likely a 'returnee' - more likely a member of its species that decided to winter here. Although today is back down to freezing and just above, the weatherman promises temp will be back to the upper 50's by week's end. February is the cruelest month ... no matter what Eliot wrote.

Who has their bags packed, in your neck of the woods?

Attachments

• Dark eyed junco.jpg
    Dark eyed junco.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Female Red Bellied Woodpecker.jpg
    Female Red Bellied Woodpecker.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Rose Breasted Nuthatch.jpg
    Rose Breasted Nuthatch.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Eastern Grey Squirrel.jpg
    Eastern Grey Squirrel.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Female Downy Woodpecker.jpg
    Female Downy Woodpecker.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 38
More photos from 'The Breakfast Club'

Of these, the least often seen is the song sparrow - one or two will come along, with the flock of white throat sparrows. Their 'mutton chop mustache' is how they're most easily spotted. Just a few days ago, I spied one of the white throats with no tail feathers, whatsoever. I'll have to check, to see if they normally molt their tail feathers so completely. The loss of the tail feathers didn't seem to trouble the individual bird, and it was easily able to follow its troop when they left the deck. The Carolina wren comes and takes the occasional piece of cracked corn or peanut - I've never seen her take any sunflower. She will, of course, explore the deck boards, to look for any unsuspecting insects.

Attachments

• white breasted nuthatch.jpg
    white breasted nuthatch.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Song Sparrow.jpg
    Song Sparrow.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Brownheaded Cowbird.jpg
    Brownheaded Cowbird.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Carolina Wren.jpg
    Carolina Wren.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 40
  • BlueJay.jpg
    BlueJay.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 43
Yes, great photos! Your "breakfast club" looks quite diverse! I really enjoyed the description of the morning flow - interesting if there is really somewhat of a morning routine.

Hard to believe the winter birds are headed out already. I think I still have seen "winter birds" where I am, but since I don't get to see them daily, it's hard to be sure! (I'm something like the latitude of Philadelphia)

Most birds in Miami, FL have not left just yet, but during the month of March we will see the departure of a slew of our more common winter residents such as Eastern Phoebe, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Gray Catbird, Painted Bunting, Yellow-throated Warbler, and Yellow-rumped Warbler. American Goldfinch, American Robin, and Cedar Waxwing have not been able to make it quite this far south this year, apparently. We are in a funny position within the ABA area during the winter due to our climate, regularly tallying up to 22-24 species of warbler in winter along with wintering Summer Tanagers, Brown-crested Flycatchers, Least Flycatchers, but having no where near the variety of sparrows or waterfowl seen in the northern part of the state.

Early migrants will also come and go in March, including Louisiana Waterthrush and Yellow-throated Vireo (each of these species also winter here in small numbers, but are at their most numerous during the spring passage).

Carlos

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back