• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Afield with the Razor 10x42s (1 Viewer)

vkalia

Robin stroker
I got the Razors as a replacement for my Pentax 10x43 SPs, which had been lying in a shop "unrepaired" for almost 7 months (couldnt get the part needed here). As it turns out, just 2 days before my Razors were due to arrive, I got a call from the repair guy saying he's machined me the part I need and fixed the Pentax. So I ended up with both the binos and had a chance to test them out side by side.

To be honest - not a huge difference in view. Contrast was similar & sharpness was similar. The Razors may have a slight edge in contrast, but if so, it is very minor.

As I was leaving on an exploratory trip to Eagles Nest NP, I decided to take the Razor 10x42s with me. After 5 days of full-time birding (and 40+ lifers!), I have reached the following conclusions:

1/ The weight of these binos is over-rated. I wore them with a harness and even after a full day, using them and holding them steady was not a problem. I found the heft and the design actually made it easier to hold them in hand.

2/ They are truly very sharp and have excellent contrast. If I could get the binos on birds, I was able to make out pretty much all the markings I need to see. And the view was very enjoyable, as well - comfy, without too many blackouts.

3/ The focus knob needs work. It is stiff and slow to turn: 1 and 1/4 turns to go from one end to another, which isnt a lot, but the stiffness means that it takes a while. I ended up missing out on a few birds in mixed-flock foraging parties because of the time it took to change focus.

4/ I also got a chance to look through a pair of Zeiss FL 10x42s and frankly, I was disappointed. To clarify, it isnt any kind of reverse snobbery. I can get myself a pair of Leica or Zeiss binos if I find them to be worth it and that was one of the reasons I took a look through the Zeiss glass. While I do enjoy the view from Leicas a lot (so much so that I might just stop thinking rationally and get me a pair of 8x32s anyway), I thought the Zeisses lacked punch and had a slight greenish tint compared to the Razors. But the ergonomics of the FLs were a lot better (back to that focussing knob again).

5/ I've realized that for birding in forests and thick cover, 10x42s are not optimal binos. Wideangle 8x32 or 8x42s would be much better for such a task.

Were it not for the fact that I find the Razors really nice to hold and keep steady, I'd be hard-put to justify them instead of the Pentax SP 10x43s, which have similar quality of optics, a much nicer focussing knob, and are also smaller, lighter, have an equivalent field of view and are currently a lot cheaper as well.

Still, if you live in the US, you can get the focussing knob tweaked quite easily by Vortex, which would make these excellent binos for the times when you need a little more reach. For me, I will see if the focussing knob loosens up further - if not, I'll sell these and stick to the Vipers.

Vandit

Based on your comments('course you said it yourself), the 8x42 might have served you better with it's wider FOV and tremendous depth of field. The optics were certainly not the problem with mine-I've had some construction quality woes with this model, and just returned the second/last set yesterday. Loved the weight and the balance. They were very comfortable in use, no matter what they said on the scale.
I'm really happy with your comments about the SPs, especially, since I have the 8x32s on the way. An Amazon seller had two left at $313 each(still one available, peoples!), and I couldn't resist.
Just wanted something comparable to my "Browning" 8x32, but hopefully without the glare problems, and honestly had no expectation that the SP were that close to the Razors in performance-first wish after getting the 8x42 Razor was that there was a 8x32, too. Now I'm a little more excited about the SP. Thanks very much for the comparison.

Still, if you live in the US, you can get the focussing knob tweaked quite easily by Vortex, which would make these excellent binos for the times when you need a little more reach. For me, I will see if the focussing knob loosens up further - if not, I'll sell these and stick to the Vipers.
I'm not sure they do much in the way of tweaking, and believe they typically replace problem bins. I'd prefer to have one set's known problems fixed than take a chance on another, personally.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back