• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brightness: Exit pupil size vs. Twilight factor (1 Viewer)

etc

I am confused. I keep hearing different viewpoints.
One is that the exit pupil size contributes to brightness, as in 7x42mm.

On the other hand, a 7x42mm for example has a lower twilight factor than a 8x42 or 10x42 and certainly less than 10x50. But a 10x50 has a 5mm exit pupil size which is smaller than 6mm of 7x42.

Not to mention that a 10x50 has more elements than a 7x42 or 7x, period.

So, what factors contribute to brightness, assuming that the coatings are the same in different configurations?

I am confused. I keep hearing different viewpoints. One is that the exit pupil size contributes to brightness, as in 7x42mm. On the other hand, a 7x42mm for example has a lower twilight factor than a 8x42 or 10x42 and certainly less than 10x50....

Assuming your pupil has dilated enough to make use of it, brightness is determined by exit pupil as well as how well the binocular transmits light (a property affected by glass type, prism coatings, lens coatings, prism type). I'm no expert on the specifics of "twilight factor", but basically it takes two factors into consideration: brightness (as presumed from exit pupil--there is no consideration of transmission differences) and magnification. It is supposed to be a better index of what a binocular allows you to see/discern in low light levels. The fact is, what you can see is not governed by brightness alone, magnification is also very important because it spreads the light over a larger area of your retina, thus allowing for the detection of finer details. Consequently, it is possible (within limits) to see details better in a dimmer (due to smaller exit pupil) higher maginification binocular than a brighter lower magnification binocular. The twilight factor calculation is supposed to approximate the trade-offs between the two factors.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back