• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

zeiss 10x56 nightowl or leica 12x50 HD (1 Viewer)

First, there is no difference between high-priced binoculars. If you can't look through them equally well, your eyes are simply not good enough. On the other hand, the Leica HD is newer, so it will automatically be better. Furthermore, you should choose the one with higher magnification, because in Europe birds are further away than in other parts of the world. So, this all clearly points towards the 12x50HD, but please be sure to get one without the red label, because they are very bad for some reason.
Hope this helps. ;)

Last edited:
Enough humor! 3:) Binoculars are SERIOUS! :;)
That said, the Zeiss 10x56 is substantially heavier, as well as out of production. It sometimes surfaces on Ebay and generally sells for $1000 and up. The Leica is newer, with better coatings, lighter and probably easier to handle.
For sea watch, a tripod mount would probably help with either glass. 10x plus really brings out the shakes, at least for me.
Are both units available to you? Only you can decide which is more friendly for you to use.
If you have the budget to buy one of these, you should consider the Canon 10x42L IS. It is no clunkier or heavier than the above two, wonderfully bright and the image stabilization makes a huge difference for hand held observation. It too is waterproof.

I haven't tried the Leica 12x50HD, but I do own a set of the 10x56 nightowls. They are fantastic glass, with very low CA, incredibly sharp images, and very high brightness. But they are very heavy. You might want to see what you are up against before you purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back