• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An invasion of siskins (1 Viewer)

What a difference a week makes! The first siskin's arrived in the garden last Saturday and the numbers have steadily increased to 15 at most, incredible considering I've never seen them before.

Echoing Sleeper's comments, they are hardy little birds and have stamped their authority quite quickly, eating from the peanuts, seed feeder and ground table - generally regardless of whose around, although I've noticed the Great and Blue tits seem to enjoy flying up to them and making them jump!

Living on the edge of Bracknell Forest which is a huge coniferous plantation (although much more mixed out the back here) I'm excited by the potential of them breeding. I just find it remarkable that having never seen them before they have just become such a permanent feature - really altering the make-up of the garden birds. I'm really happy!

:bounce:

Last edited:
I think your happiness is well justified Simon. I like the comment about changing the make-up of the garden as they really do make a difference to how the garden is accepting of different species. The pecking order can really alter things between birds and when this occurs it gives a great change thats well noticed.

Let us know how things progress with all the Siskin visits as the season goes on.

Sleeper said:
Elizabeth

It would be great to think that you may have a flock that could stay for breeding. What trees do you have locally? It seems they nest in coniferous plantations.

I bet you are really pleased to have such a great flock in the garden. BTW i have always found the Siskin to be very tough considering its small size. It generally takes over any feeder which it chooses to feed from.

Stephen, there are a fair number of trees in all shapes and sizes in nearby gardens and beyond, but not many of them are coniferous and we certainly don't have any plantations of conifers anywhere near. Perhaps I should just hope for a nesting pair of goldfinches!

A quick update on the siskins. This morning we counted 44 - about 22 on the ground below the feeders, 10 on the seed tray/squirrel baffle and the rest on the hanging feeders. Not surprisingly, goldfinches are not so much in evidence at the moment - though there were 13 there on Sunday.

Elizabeth

That's ace! At those rates you will be asking for a bird counter. Still no visits in my garden sadly so still very envious.

The large numbers seem to be running true with other gardens around the country. It is evident that those who do get the Siskin seem to be getting them in large numbers. Does this run true with anybody else who is frequented by this cracking bird?

Nope! Most I have ever had is three. This year so far two. My friend who lives 12 miles away has only seen one, a lone male. We live in hope that more will arrive, but with this mild weather we have had here today, it's been more like the end of April, they will be ready to depart again soon!

Having seen siskins in the local area but NEVER in the garden, I decided to follow Elizabeth's advice, and a couple of weeks ago purchased a 4Kg bag of Niger Seed and a new feeder (from GBS - thanks for the tip).

Late today I spotted my first ever garden siskin lurking in the apple tree above the niger feeder. Yay I thought, this niger theory really works, and was all ready to offer Elizabeth a B :)

Well, the little chap spent several minutes hopping around above the new feeder before eventually dropping down onto it. Once there it proceeded to give the niger seed what can only be described as a scornful glance (if indeed siskins can glance scornfully). It then hopped swiftly across on to the (non-red) peanut feeder, which has been in the garden, well, for as long as I have been feeding the birds !! Here it proceeded to stuff its little self for about 15 minutes.

So did I purchase the niger seed for no good reason - would it have dropped by today anyway ?? Will it at least now go away and tell its niger loving compatriots that there is seed a plenty at my place ??? Who knows !! Birds, don't you just love them ..... :h?:

The light was fading when he arrived, but I least managed to grab this record shot of my first garden siskin !!

Annie

P.S. The bullfinches seem to like the niger - so it won't go to waste !!

Attachments

• Copy of Siskin.jpg
    Copy of Siskin.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 78
Hey Annie, congratulations! Am I the only one who has had my niger feeder shunned by all and sundry here for over three months? (fresh seed though!) I now have the proud total of three siskins, although the male wasn't seen today, there were two females sharing a bog-standard red plastic peanut feeder! (approx 2 feet away from the niger one)

Hello.

Until 1 week ago I hadn`t had any Siskins all winter. Now up to 15 are visiting at a time. They go for sunflower hearts.

The Siskins were joined by 2 Redpolls for 1/2 hour this afternoon. This is the first time I`ve seen Redpolls feeding in the garden. They visited a seed tray with sunflower hearts and niger seed, they seemed to be feeding on the former. Hopefully they`ll be back.

Hello Graham,
Welcome to the site, your very lucky with those Redpolls!
My maximum count of siskins is just 3. They're not earning their stripes in this garden!!

Graham S said:
Hello.

Until 1 week ago I hadn`t had any Siskins all winter. Now up to 15 are visiting at a time. They go for sunflower hearts.

The Siskins were joined by 2 Redpolls for 1/2 hour this afternoon. This is the first time I`ve seen Redpolls feeding in the garden. They visited a seed tray with sunflower hearts and niger seed, they seemed to be feeding on the former. Hopefully they`ll be back.

Hi Graham, and welcome to the Forum. I'm so envious of your redpolls - perhaps they could send a few of their friends to my garden?

Siskins arrived in my garden this week and just one pair visit twice daily.They feed on the nuts and niger seed (I'm assuming they're the same pair). They know their way around, from the feeders to the bird bath and off to the next site at each visit. I managed to get a few shots of them at the niger feeder.

Attachments

• DSCN3397.JPG
    DSCN3397.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN3398.JPG
    DSCN3398.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 88
Still none to report in the garden here. It is looking increasingly like this year will be a non siskin year, real shame I just hope they have found enough natural food about hence no need to visit my garden.

I was lucky enough to see the Siskins with lesser redpoll today feeding on Alder trees. It threw it down all day at tophill Low so it was a great bird to see.

My Siskin count went up to 25 on friday :eek!:
Also spotted my first Bramblings - male and female.

Regards to the food, sunflower hearts are undoubtably their favourite whilst also enjoying peanuts. I've even seen the odd one try the fat! It's the noise they make out there that's most striking, I feel like I have my own private aviary!

Never tried the nyger seed though......

I spotted a flock of about 20 siskins on the other side of the village while out walking the dog this morning. However, so far, my siskin appears to have been a one time garden visitor, which is a shame - maybe he didn't like the flavour of the peanuts !!!

Annie

Thank you for the welcomes.

The Siskins brought 4 Redpolls with them today. The Redpolls seem unfamiliar with feeder perches and, so far, always go to the seed tray.

So bearing in mind the title of the thread is 'An invasion of Siskins' (which really does sound like one of those science fiction 'B' movies from yesteryear!) are my bunch likely to hang around? I'ld certainly miss them if they left.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back