• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbirds gone (1 Viewer)

jayhunter

The Blackbirds nesting in my Honeysuckle reported last month, completed the nest. Hen bird was seen sitting on the nest, and gave cry when my wife went up to the propagator. However one of next door's cats found a way up to the nest by walking along the top of the oil tank and jumping up onto the Honeysuckle. They have been frightened off and now seem be to nesting in the big Conifer in the garden behind ours. Although we saw a black cat about fifteen feet up the Conifer yesterday. The hen bird really scolds us when she sees us as if it is our fault the cats are invading their nest spaces. I only wish I could do something as I have five cats one side and two the other . Having lost a Goldfinches nest in the Laburnham tree outside my bedroom window a couple of years ago, I am off moggies!!

It happens every year, at least they have moved to a safer place before laying, so there's still hope for them yet and they've learnt a valuable lesson.

Moggies and Maggies - both bad!

The Blackbirds that have been nesting in the ivy in our garden either got their eggs plundered by Magpies or scared off into nesting somewhere else - in any case they've not been about since the Maggies were seen entering... to a chorus of Blackbird alarm calls last week...

We had an unfortunate thing happen to "our" blackbirds this year too. They were nesting in one of our many conifers in our back garden and the nest was unstable and fell out. Unfortunately they already had one nestling in there and it was far too young to survive. But I have noticed now they are trying again in one of our neighbours bushes. Shame we lost them out of our garden but at least they have enough time to try again.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back