• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x20 BT* Victory Coatings? (1 Viewer)

LINK:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=162905

Blast from the past... couldn't bring up the old thread as the forum software won't allow it. There's so much conflicting information on the thread it's a bit tough to figure.

QUESTION for anyone that can sort it out.

I have a Zeiss 8x20BT*, Cordura Case, Embossed on the rubber armor "Victory Compact", Box says 52 20 35 and the serial no. is 27341XX...

Sooooo... Silver or Dielectric?

Mac

Kevin suggests that the product number 52 20 35 is the one for the dielectric coated model and this is certainly the number shown in the 2005 and 2006 catalogues and the 2005 catalogue states that the dielectric coating would be available from May 2005.

Seems to add up that if yours is a 52 20 35 its dielectric.

Lee

Lee, this is the post that made me wonder?

Confirmed :

Victory 8x20 T*
-Silver coating : 52 20 35
-Dielectric coating : 52 20 75
-Dielectric coating Lotu Tec : 52 20 78

Victory 10x25 T*
-Silver coating : 52 20 36
-Dielectric coating : 52 20 76
-Dielectric coating Lotu Tec : 52 20 79

You can see it on page 10 ( Carl Zeiss Sport Optics - Consumer Price List - Effective January 1, 2010 ) :

http://www.zeiss.com/C12568CF00206298/EmbedTitelIntern/Consumer_Price_List_2010/$File/2010_Price_List.pdf

Lee, this is the post that made me wonder?

OMG this is certainly enough to cause furrowed brows and head-scratching.

But 52 20 35 is certainly the product code shown in the 2006 catalogue and by then the bins were certainly dielectric.

And yes, these are nice little bins. Mine sit on my computer desk ready to grab all the time :t:

Lee

The 35's in a cordura case are almost definitely silver prisms. They be would 75 if the were dielectric.

I have one of each and the silver is 35 and the dielectric is 75. Plus I recall the long discussions on this topic.

They have had dielectric coatings since at least 2006 and likely before that.

This was discussed and clarified on the Zeiss Forum in the thread linked below:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=283130

Specifically see my post #4 and Troubador's posts #9 and #11 which relate to Zeiss's numbering system.

I also noted on another thread about this issue that I still had the Zeiss Catalog for 2006 which was printed in Germany. On the back cover is the following notation: 1430-128US Printed in Germany NP-08/2006, along with Zeiss's Chester, VA address.

I have that catalog in front of me now and it states on page 36 that the Victory Compact 8x20 T*, Order No. 52 20 35 and Victory Compact 10x25 T*, Order No. 52 20 36 both have dielectric coatings on the prisms. Quote: "Maximum values in transmission are achieved with the dielectrical coatings on the prisms, thus obtaining even brighter images."

Last edited:
The 35's in a cordura case are almost definitely silver prisms. They be would 75 if the were dielectric.

I have one of each and the silver is 35 and the dielectric is 75. Plus I recall the long discussions on this topic.

Nessus,

I purchased my 8x20 T* from Camera Land and had the option of getting it with a Cordura case for $100.00 less than if I bought it with it's leather case. I took the savings and the Cordura case. The box it came in has the number 52 20 35 on it as noted in the Zeiss Catalog I wrote about in the above post #7. I bought it March 4, 2009. I am very confident that it has dielectric coatings.

Bob

Perhaps the 35 referred to the case style in some years.[/QUOTE

I don't think so. These numbers are identified in the 2006 catalog under pictures of the binoculars as "Order No." And we know from that catalog that they have phase coatings. No cases are pictured with them.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back