• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummigbird Predators (1 Viewer)

Take heart guys,
Hawks, especially acciptors are Hummer-friends. They eat wrens, jays, and other nest-robbers that prey upon hummer nests and eggs. Part of the reason for the increase in hummer populations over the past 20 years is the resurgance of raptors. Hummers actually prefer to nest near hawk nests.

Take heart guys,
Hawks, especially acciptors are Hummer-friends. They eat wrens, jays, and other nest-robbers that prey upon hummer nests and eggs. Part of the reason for the increase in hummer populations over the past 20 years is the resurgance of raptors. Hummers actually prefer to nest near hawk nests.

One PBS "Nature" series, "Hummingbirds- magic in the air" documents Black-Chins nesting in close proximity to Cooper's hawks,
if recalled correctly.

Mother Nature is sort of "cruel". In addition to four hummingbird feeders, I also have four above ground bird feeders and three nyjer seed feeders. The roadrunners will sit quietly in the trees and wait for the smaller birds. While I haven't seen them catch small birds, they try often enough. I have seen them catch baby Gambel's Quail, which is a very sad thing to watch. I don't know. I know that all animals have to eat but . . . .

Oh yeah, the resident Cooper's Hawk will catch a larger bird every so often. Sometimes I think I've created a predator smorgasbord with all my feeders and that thought pains me sometimes. But the hummers don't seem to mind when the Cooper's Hawk is sitting nearby. All the other birds disappear.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back