• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terrapins at Tooting commons (1 Viewer)

nandbytes

Terrapins at Tooting commons, London

My first set of pictures on this forum. I suppose a bit ironic I am posting reptiles first on a birds forum.

Took me nearly 3 years to catch these. Apparently there are up to 5 sometimes basking in the sun but I'll take two now

Attachments

• 33950870360_9143764b08_b.jpg
    33950870360_9143764b08_b.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 34203892011_1d35440a7a_b.jpg
    34203892011_1d35440a7a_b.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 34293740216_3567ccc181_b.jpg
    34293740216_3567ccc181_b.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 33493055634_0ed17a4a3a_b.jpg
    33493055634_0ed17a4a3a_b.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 34176528902_3117f6c384_b.jpg
    34176528902_3117f6c384_b.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
In news - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1660334.stm

looks like it got of hand much like parakeets in London. But parakeets seem to be much less in numbers now than say two years ago. They might have been culled also.

I'm not noticing any reduction in Ring-necked Parakeets + am aware of no widespread cull of this species- though believe there has been on Monk Parakeets to stop them becoming fully established as RNP. Both species are on General Licence so can be culled where they are having an impact such as vineyards to the south of London.

Don't think the terrapins have as much impact as corvids + gulls in London parks on duckling survival.

Don't think the terrapins have as much impact as corvids + gulls in London parks on duckling survival.

The larger ones will take ducklings and there are numerous adult ducks at my local park in Nottingham with a foot missing dues to Terrapins. I know for a fact that they were culled here if thet could get near them, which wasn't easy apparently.

A

Believe these belong to the sub-species called Yellow-bellied Slider, Trachemys scripta scripta.

It looks like both subspecies in the photos, Red-eared and Yellow-bellied, or an odd mix. Both can also be seen at the London Wetland Centre.

Last edited:
One of the main differences between these and the parakeets from an ecological perspective is that whereas the parakeets are prolific breeders, these are not. They are widespread in UK from releases (and escapes - I found one at the bottom of my garden in London when I was a kid) but for a long time there was no evidence of breeding, presumably due to our cool climate. I'm not sure of the current situation - a web search will probably provide some updated info - but I'd be surprised if there are more than a handful of confirmed breeding records even now. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Perhaps just as well as terrapins are bad news for native species, eating all manner of stuff. Parakeets might occupy a few nest holes here and there but I don't think they are generally considered a particularly aggressive coloniser in the ecological sense.

but I have certainly noticed less parakeets than say 2 years ago. Now I only see a few here and there, before it used to whole flocks of them!

At one site in London I've seen numerous large terrapins but also tiny individuals, not something that I would expect to see 'thrown away,' so I consideed that they had bred there, taking advantage of London's warmer microclimate. I've recently been told that they have been removed from that site - possibly due to the damage they are stated to cause to young waterbirds, etc.
As for r-r parakeets, they are still numerous - and still spreading.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back