• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Massive Gator (1 Viewer)

Its just perspective - though it is a big gator to start with, its not abnormally so I would say. I do find it interesting that several photographers are happy to compromise their mobility by lying down - aggression is not exactly unknown in alligators.

John

I am terrified by small gators and they have given me nightmares all my life, to see this well lets just say I would of been terrified. 12 foot long is too big for me.

You can estimate it's size roughly by looking at the width of the path, compare that to one of the people we can see and imagine one of them laying down across the path. The body of the animal has almost gone but almost it's whole tail covers the path so it is a very big animal as Gators go, I'd guess at least ten feet?

I bet one of out tech savvy members could probably work it out with a fair degree of accuracy?

A

Well the person who shared the video has a facebook page and address you can get a hold of them, they reported the measurement on the news. Maybe listen to whole video. It also reports exact location, maybe someone ones to do a documentary on it, that would be cool. I think it looks fake because never seen those things on the side coming out like a dinosaur.

The gator is real. I have seen it and taken pics of it. It is at the Circle B Preserve in Lakeland, FL. He is around 10-12ft long. A big guy for sure, but there are even bigger ones than that at the preserve. I have been going there for the last 4 yrs and have seen him several times. The trails at the preserve are not terribly wide and gators frequently cross from canals and ponds on 1 side of the trail to Lake Hancock on the other side. There are several long trails at the preserve, but Humpback (nickname given to him) mainly stays around one trail. He doesn't bother anyone, just likes to cross from one area to another on occasion. He is a true dinosaur. The photographers laying down to get the best shot are crazy. Gators are fast in short spurts.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back