• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dublin Birding (1 Viewer)

Hi, This Buzzard is one of 20 wing tagged by Damian Clarke in 2005. It is a female and we got to know her well here in Naul as she 'lived' in the fields directly behind our house. This photo was taken in Sept 2005 and she remained here during the winter; (aided by a feeding station). She moved about 2 km during the summer but returned in the autumn of 2006 and has been seen on and off through spring/summer of 2007. She has not been in this area since then. Damian wing tagged Buzzards in summer 2006 and these have yellow tags.
Regards, Joe

Attachments

• Tagged Buzzard.jpg
    Tagged Buzzard.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 119
I think if the Irish county threads are going to continue to grow and be successful you need to have some at least one person active in that thread,local to that area that knows the sites and can tap into the 'local grapevine' and will readily make that information available to their Thread.

What do other people think?
Yeah, on reflection I suppose you're right, Peter. If "Dublin Birding" becomes "Greater Dublin Area Birding", it could take over all of Leinster....and before anyone takes offence at my suggestion earlier, I am technically a Wicklow Man. This may surprise those of you familiar with Sancho's Urbane Wit and Cosmopolitan Charm :), but my Birth Cert gives my address as Kilquade, Co. Wicklow. Really.

Meanwhile, that's a lovely shot of the wing-tagged Buzzard, Joe. Any idea where it was tagged? We have Buzzards nesting each year at the top of the road, over the estate wall in Kilruddery Demesne. They hunt all over the area, the kids call me when they hear them. Last autumn one appeared with a Greenish-Yellow Tag, one of Damian's, but I don't think the Buzzards in Kilruddery have been tagged yet.

Hi Sancho,
She was tagged in Carton Estate, Maynooth which is where all 20 Buzzards were tagged in 2005.
Regarding the tagged one you saw last autumn, did you contact Damian? He would be most interested to have details.
Regards,
Joe

Peter

I think county treads makes a lot of sense, hence the reason I started the Galway tread base on the results the Louth tread is achieving. Any Tread is only as good as its contributors. Would be nice to see more joining. There is a wealth of knowledge out there that needs to be shared.

Looking at the stats and how many views/hits the Dublin & Galway treads have receive in just a few weeks, brilliant. Just a few of those joining and typing a few words or submitting a few photos we will all benefit.

There are top class birders and not so top class birders including photographers all could make a contribution. Come on join up, even if it is just to say hello, it’s a start.

As I have said before these treads can be addictive/compulsive reading, I check the Dublin, Louth and NI tread on a daily basis. I in particular in enjoy Joe Curtis’s photos.

I notice the Dublin tread has just past the 83 mark passing Galway here’s number 84.

Keep it going guys.

Tom

Dublin and Wicklow News from the 'Coveney Line'

05-Feb-08 1 Red-necked Grebe Poolbeg

10-Feb-08 3 Lapland Bunting Lowtherstone

10-Feb-08 1 Pink-footed Goose Lowtherstone

10-Feb-08 4 Twite N Bull Is N End

10-Feb-08 1 Carrion Crow N Bull Is N End

10-Feb-08 1 Slavonian Grebe Poolbeg
10-Feb-08 1 Red-necked Grebe Poolbeg

10-Feb-08 12 Brambling Rogerstown
10-Feb-08 1 Spotted Redshank Rogerstown

10-Feb-08 1 Ruff Swords Est
10-Feb-08 2 Curlew Sandpiper Swords Est
10-Feb-08 2 Scaup Swords Est

10-Feb-08 1 Green-winged Teal Kilcoole
10-Feb-08 1 Carrion Crow Kilcoole

Hi,
Today's offering and yes, the Dublin bird well is now pretty dry. Leaves me only to follow the advice of Peter and Dave and get out and snap a few more,
Joe

Attachments

• 03- Heron.jpg
    03- Heron.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 03- Jackdaw.jpg
    03- Jackdaw.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 108
  • 03- Robin.jpg
    03- Robin.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 114
I tried today for the 4 Twite reported at the north end of the Bull. No joy. Only 6 linnets in the area, as far as I could tell.

Yeah, my personal Twite-quest is going nowhere fast....:). I only checked the north end, from the causeway to the NE tip. Usual waders, including 4 grey plover. In the channel, a few merganser, cresty grebes and Goldeneye. Beautiful day for a stroll on the Bull, though! The sand on the southern beach is perfect for top-class sandcastles.

Another reason this thread is a good idea is that overseas birders can check it....there were a few requests from UK and Italian BF members over the autumn and winter for sites around the Dublin area.

Last edited:
Hi everyone
4 brambling still present in Phoenix park near the Zoo today

Attachments

• copyDSC01598.JPG
    copyDSC01598.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 130
Still a lazy birder I'm afraid so just took some images in the garden as the birds fed like mad,
Joe

Attachments

• 13- 02-08 Blue Tit.jpg
    13- 02-08 Blue Tit.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 13- 02-08 Great Tit.jpg
    13- 02-08 Great Tit.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 13- 02-08 Greenfinch.jpg
    13- 02-08 Greenfinch.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 13- 02-08 Greenfinch no 1.jpg
    13- 02-08 Greenfinch no 1.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 103
Hi,
Went to Lowtherstone, 2km north of Balbriggan, & saw 4 Lapland Bunting, an SE Owl & approx 180 Brent.
The Laplands were at the sea side of the usual field and close to the Tumuli;
The SE Owl was in the old garden of Lowtherstone House (the ruins) and did not fly far when flushed, yet I did not find it again.
The Brent were in the sown land, second field north of the football fields.
The tide was full so nothing much on the shoreline.
Joe

Attachments

• Brent at Lowtherstone no 1.jpg
    Brent at Lowtherstone no 1.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Brent at Lowtherstone.jpg
    Brent at Lowtherstone.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 120
Hi,
Went to Lowtherstone, 2km north of Balbriggan, & saw 4 Lapland Bunting, an SE Owl & approx 180 Brent.
The Laplands were at the sea side of the usual field and close to the Tumuli;
The SE Owl was in the old garden of Lowtherstone House (the ruins) and did not fly far when flushed, yet I did not find it again.
The Brent were in the sown land, second field north of the football fields.
The tide was full so nothing much on the shoreline.
Joe

Great to see you out and about Joe. You count not have picked a better day for it. Well done with the Lappers.

Great shots both at home and in the field. Keep up the good work. If your looking for a project, some nice snaps of those Lappers feeding in the stubble and one of the Short eared Owl would be nice!

Peter, Attached is a cropped shot of the SE; not so easy to grap shot the thing as it likes playing games with the photographer. It moves much faster than I could react and then it's out of range. I only got two frames and both are poor images.
The family that own that land ( their name is Bell) started to work the stubble today, they are using a device that breaks the subsoil. It looks like two big knives behind the John Deere and after a short period to let the ground dry further through the subsoil the next phase is ploughing. This will have some impact on the Lappers.

Joe

Attachments

• SE Owl.jpg
    SE Owl.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 155
Hi,
Pretty drab day, so checked the files again for unpublished images and found these few,
Joe

Attachments

• 04- Chat.jpg
    04- Chat.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 117
  • 04- Gull.jpg
    04- Gull.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 04- Mallard Drake.jpg
    04- Mallard Drake.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 98
Had a stroll in Kilcoole today (I'll post it here until someone takes the plunge and starts a "Wicklow Birding" thread...). Not much to report, except that the water levels in Webb's Field has now subsided so there are a lot more waders about than in recent weeks. c.200 Golden Plover, about 180 Lapwing, handful of Dunlin and Ringed Plover, usual suspects. A Dark-Bellied was among the Brent Geese. Offshore, 7 RT Divers, and over 40 shag. In the fields beyond Webbs, 47 Whooper, but I didn't walk as far as the Breaches so can't confirm if the group of Bewick's are still about.

Hi,
The Buzzards are back on my patch with 5 fighting it out for prime sites yesterday and today. I recognise one of them as a returning bird but did not get good enough views of the others to identify them as "the usual locals". Due to work being carried out (refilling the gravel quarry with topsoil in VAST amounts) last season was a poor one in the area with little interest in nesting. This can be the year Naul again becomes the Buzzard capital of Dublin.
Joe

Attachments

• Buzzard no 1.jpg
    Buzzard no 1.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 108
  • buzzard no 2.jpg
    buzzard no 2.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 104
  • buzzard no 3.jpg
    buzzard no 3.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 107
Hi Again,
Got a few images on my afternoon walk, the Treecreeper being the exception it being one of the Peter Phillip's specials at Dublin Zoo in 2006 (I think the year is correct)
Joe

Attachments

• 05- Mallard Drake.jpg
    05- Mallard Drake.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 98
  • Rook .jpg
    Rook .jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Wren.jpg
    Wren.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Treecreeper .jpg
    Treecreeper .jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 117
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back