• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Difference for SC and MC For Nikon E models? (1 Viewer)

Canuck Bob

Could folks please give their opinion on the difference experienced between the different speced coatings for the Nikon E. This is a request to better understand coatings and historical development within an easy to research product line.

Pawn shop hunting for an E is probably in my future. No interest in Ebay just super deals from local classifieds or pawn shops.

I suspect there are three versions. Original SC, single coat, for the first gen E. MC, multi-coat, for second gen E. The same MC for the grey body EII and possibly a minor upgrade forthe black body EII. Not sure the MC is MC or FMC?

I have a little collection of E and EII models, both single layer and multicoated.

The image from original single layer E models looks dim and quite yellow compared to the multicoated Es. All of my multicoated E and EIIs are more color neutral than the originals, but still show an obvious red color bias. I don't see any significant change in the coatings between my multicoated Es from the early 90s and my gray bodied EIIs from about 12 years ago. They all show greenish reflections throughout from both lenses and prisms. There are small variations, with some reflections a slightly bluer green, but these appear to be random sample variations that can occur even between the right and left sides of the same binocular.

I haven't seen any recent EII units, but I have a Nikon 18x70 Porro which shows some quite different reflection colors, green from the objective lenses and some eyepiece surfaces, but magenta from the prisms and both yellow and magenta from some eyepiece surfaces. It is clearly more color neutral than the Es or EIIs. If your 8x30 EII shows that kind of difference in reflection colors it would indicate a real change in the coating formula in recent production.

Henry

I had a first generation EII and now have a late model EII (810xxx) and late model SE (550xxx). I have not studied these with the same care as Henry, but I concur that my current EII's coatings reflect pale magenta and green, with some yellow. My SE's seem a bit more biased toward magenta than the EIIs, and the view a shade more neutral, but both are clearly not as heavily weighted as the old "green" coatings of the early EIIs and SEs, and closer to neutral. These coatings are still formulated for high contrast in leafy environments and gorgeous late-day views.

Happy bargain hunting!

David

Thank you both. I'm waiting on delivery of used 8X30 EII blacks soon, 8105XX. I'll post reflection of coatings here for those that follow such things. The 7X35 E MC interests me for my wife. Your responses confirm MC is the way to go.

I had a first generation EII and now have a late model EII (810xxx) and late model SE (550xxx). I have not studied these with the same care as Henry, but I concur that my current EII's coatings reflect pale magenta and green, with some yellow. My SE's seem a bit more biased toward magenta than the EIIs, and the view a shade more neutral, but both are clearly not as heavily weighted as the old "green" coatings of the early EIIs and SEs, and closer to neutral. These coatings are still formulated for high contrast in leafy environments and gorgeous late-day views.

Happy bargain hunting!

David

My 810xxx BB EIIs show the same as yours. i'm inexperienced but magenta is in the mix and yellowish tones appear from within the bins. The view is very neutral but pine trees and red Mayday tree berries sure are pretty! I can see details of pine cone construction and texture at quite a distance. The contrast in the mature pines to the west and north, with late day low angle sw sun, is very distinct and pleasing.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back