• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 compared with other HG roof bins (1 Viewer)

The-Wanderer

Hello,

Has anyone compared the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 bins with the corresponding HG (with lead) and/or with the HG-L and their US equivalents?

Has anyone found comparative reviews elsewhere?

Interested also in comparing with the EDG single bridge models.

Last edited:
Hello,

Has anyone compared the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 bins with the corresponding HG (with lead) and/or with the HG-L and their US equivalents?

Has anyone found comparative reviews elsewhere?

Interested also in comparing with the EDG single bridge models.

I have a Monarch 8x42 HG but I don't have the means to compare the Monarch HG 8x42 with the original HG and HG L series 8x42 or the 8x42 EDG. I have read the Nikon literature concerning their particular flat fields and FOVs and I have also read Allbino's reviews of the 8x42 HGL and 8x42 EDG and of the Monarch HG 10x42.

I noted that Nikon differentiates among them in that it does not list the HG, HG L and EDG series as being "wide field" binoculars as it does with the Monarch HG binoculars although all of them do have a "Field Flattener Lens System." See the "Performance Icons Compatible Chart" from Nikon below for more information on this.

The 8x42 Monarch HGs Field Flattener works with a wide 8.3 FOV or 435'@1000 yards. The old HGs Field Flatteners work with an relatively narrow 7º FOV or 366'@1000 yards. As you can see, this is a significant difference; in fact the old 8x42 HG had a reputation of displaying "rolling ball" when some users scanned with it. Allbinos review says that it has a "very sharp image to the very edge of the view."

The Nikon 8x42 EDG has a FOV of 7.7º or 405'@1000 yards. Allbinos states in its review of the binocular that it has "Perfect sharpness across the whole field--practically to the very edge. Perhaps the last 1-2% of the field is slightly fuzzy."

Allbinos has not reviewed the 8x42 Monarch HG but it has reviewed the 10x42 HG and it notes that "Blur occurs in a distance of 84.5%" from the center.

In my own use of my 8x42 Monarch HG I estimate that the blur begins close to 90% from the center. I also see some slight pincushioning on straight edges at the edge of the view with my 8x42 Monarch HG.

It seems to me to be more difficult to extend a true flat field the wider the view becomes.

See this "Performance Icons Compatible Chart" from Nikon: (Note their definition of their "Field Flattener Lens System.")

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/sportoptics/binoculars/pdf/Performance_Icons_Compatible_Chart_En.pdf

Bob

Last edited:
Ceasar

You must have spent much time providing your helpful response, thank you.

As I learn more about bins, the greater importance I place on a natural view and so the Nikon chart was especally interesting. More and more I find binoculars that oversaturate the colours and make the view unnatural to my eyes. Some Alpha bins are examples but I had not looked through top of the line Nikons.

I had seen a Nikon HG 8x42 at what I thought was a good price but, having read your post checked the retailer's website - and there they were gone!

I am still interested in opinions about these bins and hope to find another affordable example.

My widest FOV bin is the dialyt 7x42 but I find it difficult to make good use of the full view. I suspect that my eyesight is largely responsible for that problem.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back