• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anolis, but not our common species? (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hello all, the common anole in Dominica is similar to the image here: http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=45046 - notice the long snout and the black blotches on the side.

Last weekend I was in an area I do not go too often and took a series of photos attached. The photos show at least two different animals. These had shorter snout with more strongly accentuated frontal area than we are used to seeing, and there was like a raised area along the back of the animal, the tail had slight notches and the tail looked thicker near the body. Colors on our normal anoles are very variable, but I would expect at least the dark animal to show the three black blotches normally present along the side (very pale normal Dominica Anoles might not show this).

So is this a form that I usually do not notice belonging to our usual anole or is it something else? possibly an escape/introduced species?

thanks
Niels

Attachments

• Anole Champain 1 P1000971.jpg
    Anole Champain 1 P1000971.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Anole Champain 2 P1000986.jpg
    Anole Champain 2 P1000986.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 87
  • Anole Champain 3 P1010002.jpg
    Anole Champain 3 P1010002.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Anole Champain 4 P1010024.jpg
    Anole Champain 4 P1010024.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Anole Champain 5 P1010047.jpg
    Anole Champain 5 P1010047.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 74
Thanks Andy, I notice the reference to it being introduced to Dominica. That seems to clinch it.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back