• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Khao Lak & Kho Sok Thailand Feb 07 (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Khao Lak & Khao Sok Thailand Feb 07

Stayed on the Pakarang peninsular just north of Khao Lak (a tsunami recovering mainly secondary-growth/plantation/coastal scrub area with plenty of small lakes & wetlands) birded around there most days; plus had a hire car & did Khao Sok NP for three days.

Also had a day trip to the Similan Islands, mainly to snorkle but to try & get the specialties there.

We stayed at the re-built Best Western Palm Galleria & most dawns saw me out exploring the area around, including the area on the NW of Pakarang not far from the Sarojin Hotel. This was a productive area.

One of the first birds encountered were Black-nest swiftlets - always around & common, towards the end of Feb. they were singing, though not at nest sites. On two or three dusks we saw Glossy swiftlets - only seen at that time - whether passing through on the way to roost I don't know. (For more on these two species see the bird identification thread later.)

In the grassy fields & plantations were Black-browed reed warblers & in drier more covered areas (incuding inside woodland) Lanceolated warblers were common. Many common species included Orange-breasted green pigeon, Brown shrike, Coppersmith barbet, Black & Ashy drongos, Smyrna kingfishers, etc, plus daily sightings of Grey-capped pygmy woodpeckers.

One unexpected bird was Watercock (always dipped on before) - seen on several days, often flushed from waterside vegetation. On the ponds & lakes three species out-of-range in Robson, were Ruddy-breasted crake, Moorhen & Little cormorant. Overhead White-bellied sea eagle kept the Brahminy kites busy. On the wing Grey-rumped treeswifts, occasional Brown-backed needletails, twice an Oriental pratincole, Dusky crag martins & Sand martins kept the Pacific swallows company. Several times flocks of Fork-tailed swifts (Pacificus race birds with very obvious white rumps visible from side view) appeared. Palm swifts were beginning to nest.

I saw Red junglefowl almost half the days (only once seeing a hen). In the plantations (Rubber), Forest wagtails were a welcome sight. Green-billed malkohas and one Black-bellied malkoha, Lineated barbets, Greater & Common flamebacks occasionally. Ashy minivets moved around, Vernal hanging parrots zapped past, Asian brown flycatchers always present in small numbers.

Back on the wetlands one Slaty-breated rail & a Baillon's crake, the latter feeding right out in the open on mud (again out of range) with Little ringed plovers, Marsh & Wood sandpipers, Red-wattled lapwings, Common snipe, once a Greenshank, with Yellow bitterns, Striated herons, Great, Little & Intermediate egrets.
At dawn Night herons (out-of range again) seen 2 or 3 times.

On the dry fields nearby Pintail snipe flushed to land again nearby. And Blue-breasted quails gave some on-the deck views briefly. (Barred buttonquails were typically in scrubby areas or even within wooded areas). Paddyfield pipits & a pair of Stonechat in the same area.

Fruiting trees had three pigeon species: Thick-billed green, Orange-breasted green & Pink-necked green, sharing with Koels, Asian glossy starlings etc.
Both Greater & Lesser coucals seen.

Black bazas gave good views on several days - and was probably the commonest raptor. Only one Peregrine, one probable Shikra and, as we left on the last day, a Changeable hawk eagle, three Black-shouldered kites plus two high & distant aquila eagles (probably Great spotted), added to the list.

No owls seen, except Barn owl, but a Spotted wood owl heard one night.

Brown-throated sunbirds were abundant & annoying and flowerpeckers identified were Scarlet-backed & Orange-bellied. Streak-throated bulbuls were ever present, with Red-vented & Olive-winged putting in single appearances. Bar-winged flycatcher shrikes (3) in the same tree as a singing Striped tit-babbler plus Dark-necked tailorbird enlivened one short spell.
Puff-throated babblers were seen on one day.

Best finds were the ticks for me - Little bronze cuckoo was the highlight - so difficult to see in a small tree. Banded bay cuckoo was easier as it perched out in the open giving excellent views.
Another tick was Yellow-eared spiderhunter once, called, flew in, brief look & off.
On two days a Blue rock thrush was present on the hotel itself. I will ask a question about this on the identification thread.

And so to Khao Sok.
First day started well with Sibe blue robin, Blue & white flycatcher, Ochraceous bulbuls , Shamas etc, but I had to wait a while for my first tick: a lovely Drongo cuckoo sitting by the path. Later Chestnut-winged babblers were my second. The highlight that day was a superb view of a female Chestnut-naped forktail within 3 metres of me, walking away.
Asian fairy bluebirds & a Red-crowned barbet at tree top added to a low species count. White morph Asian paradise flycatcher was nice.
Next day was better. Early on a Crested jay gave a good view, Orange-headed ground thrush & Forest wagtails on the floor. A fruiting fig brought in Yellow-vented flowerpecker, Grey-bellied bulbuls, & a Red-billed malkoha. Nearby White-bellied yuhinas & Great iora.
Two birders there had seen a roosting bird behind the fruiting fig, which we identified as Gould's frogmouth!
Futher along the river (dipping on Blue-breasted kingfisher) I found a White-crowned forktail - completely unexpected superb bird. Lots of time dipping on three Pitta species was frustrating. ( I heard a Banded sing!)

Last day at Khao Sok:
At last hornbills put in appearances: two Bushy-crested started the day.
Abbott's babbler sang from a tree next, and a pair of Chestnut-naped foktails on the river put in a great show.
But the highlight of the whole holiday was about to happen.
In the area where Hooded, Blue-winged & Banded pittas had been seen, and where I'd dipped consistently, I saw a male Siberian blue robin, THEN a bobbing shape caught my attention. Seconds ticked by very slowly, then a male Banded pitta hopped into view, tossed a few leaves and hopped away. The books cannot do it justice. It seemed to be on fire as the sun touched its crown. The bird I had most wanted was on my list!
And that day was not over. Back at the fruiting tree: Sooty-capped, Feruginous & Scaly crowned babblers, Spectacled & Buff-vented bulbuls were all ticks as was a Great hornbill that flew overhead. That was probably the best birding day ever. And yet I dipped several birds others had seen.

So, at last to the Similan Islands. To sum up I saw three Nicobar pigeons on island four. Apart from that only tick I saw Pied & Green imperial pigeons & Blue whistling thrush. But vitually nothing else. Except inumerable fantastic fish, Leatherback turtle & Lemon shark.

Halftwo

Last edited:
Banded Pitta seems unusually easy to find at Khao Sok, but this National Park is fairly infrequently visited by birdwatchers.

Some of your observations at Laem Pakarang are interesting, this seems to be the first visit by a birdwatcher since I published a page on the location on my website.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back