• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Black-backed Gull?? (1 Viewer)

KAC

I'm thinking this is a 1st winter LBBG. Could someone please confirm? Photo was taken in Southeast US along the Gulf.

Thanks,
KAC

Attachments

• DSC_8301.jpg
    DSC_8301.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 166
For my education please.
What clinches this as a LBBG?

I see short primary projection (could be camera angle/primary moult), heavily 'notched' tertials and greater coverts - Herring gull features, (although perhaps not American HG?)
I see pale edged, dark centred scapulars and a dark mask that would point to LBBG

Bill is confusing as the rest of the bird looks 1cy.

Just trying to learn!

Mick

I think that if Lou takes another look at the photo, especially at the "zebra barring" on undertail coverts, short primary projection, pale fringes on tips of primaries, smooth brown flank and upper mantle, and extensive pink colour on bill, he will agree that it is an American Herring Gull, not Lesser Black-backed...:t:

Thanks smiths ..... makes me feel better.
My limited experience with LBBG and UK Herring gull was pointing me away from the former to the extent I nearly posted something along the lines "not sure what it is, but it isn't a LBBG". Then I read Lou's post.......

Mick

gosh! i felt a bit uncomfortable because i saw the pale tips to inner primaries but they are only on inner primaries...totally overlooked the too short wings (which deserves punishment :eat:). it just looked so dark brown and tertial pattern acceptable for lbbg...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back