• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID confirmation please - Uganda (1 Viewer)

crs

I think this is the Ring-necked Dove. Would you, please, let me have your opinion too.

Than you,
Cristian

Attachments

• Mburu1001-315.jpg
    Mburu1001-315.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 74
Andy the reasons why I considered it is a Ring-necked Dove are:

According to Pigeon and Doves: A guide to the Pigeons of the World, David Gibbs, Digital Edition 2010. pg.254, Vinaceous Dove has the face " slightly whitish-pink" while the face of Ring-necled Dove is "rather grey". It looks to me that face of the bird in my photo is grey.

Moreover the two species are sympatric only in North and West Uganda. My photo was taken in Lake Mburo NP which is in the South of Uganda.

Even so I was not sure and therefore I asked for help to ID the bird.

Cristian

Hi CRS, thanks for you reply. I can see it makes sense, particulary with location! Sometimes colours don't come across as true in digit photographs. I'm trying to increase my knowledge, so explanations always help.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back