• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Owls in Britain: the saga continues... (1 Viewer)

I was sure that in the RSPB the B was for birds anyway not random mammals that predate on birds.

I also do not wish to be drawn into this whole debate again, do a search on here or go over to raptor politics and read all the discussions and make your own mind up.

The evidence it seems can be interpreted to support which ever side of the fence you stand.
The only thing I would add is that naturally occuring doesn't = good and that introduced species don't always = bad.
I will say that they are beautiful birds that exist over much of Europe now there has been plenty of observation done and the experts in this field do not believe them to be a threat.
I would question the resource given to these birds with the issues that exist for birds of prey in this country, you can be sure that if any leave the protected areas they will be shot,poisoned,disturbed by gamekeepers/egg collectors etc so I wouldn't be to concerned that they will prosper and be wide spread in the UK

I've bored myself now so ..................the end

Well, that's conservation down the tubes then...

Conservation would go down the tubes if we don't apply a dose of common sense alongside basic ecological principles.

If conservation resources were spent rounding up all species which are living somewhere which they might not naturally occur, then there wouldn't be much left.

Don't forget that British Dung Beetle Society launched a petition to exterminate Little Owls from the UK!

Well I can now probably reveal that there is a pair of eagle owls nesting in RSPB Geltsdale, it is fairly public knowledge by now.

RSPB continue to do nothing about it, no surprises there...

What the hell would the RSPB do?! As its been pointed out previously, it would be illegal to 'do' anything about them. This points been raised several times and you still can't understand why the RSPB arn't doing anything?

As someone said earlier, Mods lock this thread!

Last edited:
The thought of removing a non-native bird back into the captivity from whence it came to avoid preventable damage to endangered native birds did cross my mind...

The thought of removing a non-native bird back into the captivity from whence it came to avoid preventable damage to endangered native birds did cross my mind...

We don't seem to have this problem on the continent. Our non-native Eagle Owls are quite welcome - or where else would they go???

And you whinging on with the same repetitive line again, no surprises there...

And you taking the same opposite stance again,no suprise and then me stirring it all up again, no suprise, is there really any need or point in doing this all again? i think everything has already been said on the subject.

And you taking the same opposite stance again,no suprise and then me stirring it all up again, no suprise, is there really any need or point in doing this all again? i think everything has already been said on the subject.

Opposite stance again? I didn't express any stance this time :) But I completely agree, the subject has been completed discussed. In the absence of direct evidence that these birds are escapes, then they remain protected under E.U. law, that bit is fact. That they may be a threat to wildlife populations that they co-exist with throughout their range is not.

Last edited:
But I completely agree, the subject has been completed discussed.

OK then, let's wrap it up, all's been said and done...

In the absence of direct evidence that these birds are escapes, then they remain protected under E.U. law, that bit is fact. That they may be a threat to wildlife populations that they co-exist with throughout their range is not.

...whoops.

I didn't bump this thread to have another merry-go-round, I bumped it so that people could now view the whole thread in the context of the birds being specifically at Geltsdale.

While it's unlikely to change any entrenched attitudes, it might be worth pointing out that the Raptor Politics website is reporting that 22 hen harrier chicks have fledged on United Utilities land in the Forest of Bowland this year (up from 10 last year). I don't know if this report is accurate or not*, but if it is then this has happened despite two pairs of breeding eagle owls on the same land and the much publicised harrier nest 'predation' incident. Apparently none of the surrounding grouse moors have any eagle owls or hen harriers. Draw your own conclusions.

* EDIT: Reading another thread it seems that some doubt has been cast on these figures, although with no substantiation. It would be interesting to hear the situation from a 'reputable' source.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back