• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stone the Crows (1 Viewer)

Photoshotgun

Joking of course.....

Seriously though, my bird feeders are getting a hammering by Crows, albiet mostly Jack Daws. They roost in tree's not that far from my garden and with it being breeding season for them, the parents are coming to my garden with their offspring and raiding my bird feeders.......grrrrrrr :-@

Some mornings I come out there are roughly 8 adults on the feeders and roughly 20 young on the ground waiting for their share.

THIS IS COSTING ME A FORTUNE!!!!!

ITS NOT FAIR ON THE LITTLE BIRDS THAT DONT SCAVAGE!!!!

Guys, I need your help.....how can I stop these scavengers from eating all the food?

Although the title reads ' stone the crows ', I want to make it clear that I am TOTALLY against animal cruelty. Is there an alternative to stoning them :-O lol

Many thanks in advance :t:

No, there will be plenty with this problem.

The Jackdaws roost very locally to me in their 000s, their flight back to roost is often directly over my garden and I have a very local colony of about 30.

I try to keep the suet type foods down as much as I can (but I still put it out for the tits etc) and hope for the best I dont personally mind them and the smaller birds seem to work round them..... its my partner that hates them ;) and she is the one I must make happy:-O

Jackdaws, Rooks, Carrion Crows, Magpies, Starlings are here everyday but only on some days do they get out of hand

Dave

I use feeder guardians (cages round the feeders that let in small birds but exclude large ones). It's not an ideal solution as some of the birds can be quite wary of them but it also excludes squirrels, which is important as unlike the Jackdaws, they won't just steal the food but also destroy the feeders.

Thank YOU very much for the replies and indeed advice guys :)

I'll be of to buy some of those Guardians now then lol

Cheers, and thanks again :)

These are my solutions. A gabion cage. You may be able to pick one up from a builders suppliers. It excluded crows and magpies and allowed the smaller birds to feed without hassle. I also used a smaller mesh cage with 2" X 2" mesh. This excluded blackbirds but allowed song thrush and smaller. The blackbirds were quite aggressive during the prolonged cold spell. This cage was made from three 2ft X 3ft panels from the garden centre, just a few quid each, and put together with cable ties. Both of these cages allowed me to ground feed too. I used chick crumb/starter, about £10/12 for 25kgs.

Twite.

Attachments

• DSCN7920.JPG
    DSCN7920.JPG
    312.3 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN8845.JPG
    DSCN8845.JPG
    385.1 KB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back